question

stan-pickersgill avatar image
stan-pickersgill asked

Ip 12/30 (3) smart charger

Currently having an issue with the charger cutting off 12v power to lights,pump ect . Would it be better to reduce the amperage to 20amp instead of the current 30amp. If I turn off the charger and let the van run entirely off battery,no problems, once I turn the charger back on within a minute it cuts off 12v?? When I turn the charger back off within the minute 12v comes back on without blowing fuses. The only thing I can assume it’s tripping is the 40am relay but why????

victron community
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Not clear what's happening.

If a relay is tripping, I assume you mean a trip switch, usually these have to be reset manually.

First guess is you have lithium batteries with a BMS which disconnects the batteries if excessive charge detected. In which case, check the charger settings, reducing charge current may help.

More information about the system, battery, BMS, other components would help.

0 Likes 0 ·
stan-pickersgill avatar image stan-pickersgill kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
2x140ah agm batteries,victron smart shunt,fuse block and the relay is a 5 pin 40amp relay which using only 4 pins. This was happening before I installed the shunt. The only thing I can think of is the initial surge from the victron 12/30 charger tripping the relay. If I run the batteries down a little bit with the charger off , then turn the charger back on within a minute the lights,radio ect go off,when I turn the charger off the 12v power returns. While the charger is running in storage mode no issues.see if I can attach a pic
0 Likes 0 ·
stan-pickersgill avatar image stan-pickersgill kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
You can see the relay next to the fuse block, no fuses are affected when the lights ect go off or return.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ stan-pickersgill commented ·
Thanks. Makes more sense now. You could test by bypassing the relay.

Is the Orion powered from the same source as the relay? This would lower the source battery voltage and reduce it enough while under load, to make the relay trip. This you can check with a voltmeter across the battery, but the smartshunt readout should show the voltage drop as well. Looks as if you have a lot of loads on the batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Stan Pickersgill You also have an Enerdrive VSR hiding in the dark like a savage dog.

It might be a good idea to poke it and see if it is contributing to your problems.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic