question

pablosol2 avatar image
pablosol2 asked

Quattro overload warning

Hi all,

I have a 15 kW and 48V Quattro inverter with a 55 kWh battery bank and two AC-Coupled PV inverters.

With no reason and every few days I get an overload warning that always lasts exactly 22 seconds. This issue sometimes happens at night, with almost no load engaged, sometimes happens during at noon, in the evening...

This does not make any sense, I think it is just a flaw in the firmware because it always lasts 22 seconds and happens at any time of the day

Any clue?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerwarnings
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Could be startup current on a motor or other high startup current load.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pablosol2 avatar image pablosol2 commented ·
Thanks for your answer. The only engine that might start at night is the freezer's compressor and it is insignificant compared to a 15kW Quattro that is working at 10%-15% on batteries.

I think it is a flaw, maybe firmware

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @pablosol2

Don't just write this off as a flaw on the Victron side. The overload could be just the duration of a spark, the duration registered is just the time it takes for the Quattro to clear the fault (always ~20 sec). I see this too sometimes, but I know what causes it (on a smaller Multi). Might be something like a faulty start capacitor on a motor. Or even a wiring fault..

It may well be telling you there's something wrong in your system. And the odds are that it probably is. Take care, check your own side too. I wouldn't sleep too well without knowing more..

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi John, thanks very much for your answer.

I don't think there is a chance that a 15 kW inverter feeding less than 1 kW load might occur in overload. This happens normally at night with just the refrigerator and a few lights on, everything very straightforward and neat, not even AC machines on. This is just like if you where driving a car on a highway at 60 kmh, in winter, what are the chances it overheats?

I wish I could get more information from the inverter to find out why this is happening but I am clueless. At this moment I am grid tied but I am planning going offgrid after evaluating the system's behaviour in winter, but this warning holds me back.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ pablosol2 commented ·

@pablosol2

And I'd disagree that it's not possible. Think the length of time a *spark* takes. How much instantaneous current in that spark? Too quick for VRM to log, but the inverter knows. It'll roll on through it as it should, but those alarm logs in VRM are forever. And that's not such a bad thing if you've been offgrid for a few years and troubleshooting something.

Coincidentally, I had 2x overload instances today that aren't caused by known loads.. (RARE occurrence)

1668598769411.png

Multi 5kVA, <150W load. It was short, but maybe a little longer than a spark. Still too quick for VRM, but the solar (in float) took a little jump up, which lasted long enough to register. So I reckon it was indeed real, and will be watching for a repeat. Suspect?, maybe related to a fridge defrost cycle?? But I'll watch & wait, on alert.. Do I think it's a firmware fault or suchlike? Nope, it's almost certainly my own issue, and that will remain my opinion until proved wrong.

But it's not the end of the world. If I weren't offgrid I wouldn't even know about it. Same-'fault'-no-message stuff. So in your case I wouldn't let it influence your decision to flick the big wire. You'll just be better informed. Option to turn the alarms off anyway.

0 Likes 0 ·
1668598769411.png (5.1 KiB)
pablosol2 avatar image pablosol2 JohnC ♦ commented ·
Thanks again for your insight John but a "spark" from 500W to 15000W at 230V would mean 63A current that would have tripped many interruptors in my MDB. That spike should be very steep so because it is not recorded on any VRM graph and besides this, I swear there is no load in my house that can produce such a spike, not even the refrigerator compressor. If that is not enough, I have a 55 kWh battery, supposedly enough to cope with any spike in the current.

Quattros inverters had some spurious overload warnings in FW478 which were solved in FW481. I have a more recent FW but I think that it is related and might be happening again. Maybe I should update to the latest version (I haven't updated since last summer) but everything seems to be working fine (apart from this seldon warnings) and I'd prefer not messing with it.

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

Is this a grid-tie system? If the grid has frequency or voltage fluctuations this can case the inverter to throw a overload warning.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi mate, yes it is grid-tied but I seldon get any energy from the grid (ESS feed-in setpoint at -60 W) and the grid is very stable. Might be but it seems unlikely for me.
0 Likes 0 ·