question

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image

Push Notifications BETA Testing

EDITED - The beta is now complete.

Thanks to those that participated, we will be releasing to everyone shortly.

VRMpush notifications
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

I must be an idiot, but I can't find how to set notifications. I swear to god I've been in every single menu in the android app.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

If you downloaded the linked test version from above, and it shows the “beta” tag in VRM app then you should be good to go.

Have you tried triggering an alarm to see if it arrives?

0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Yes. I even get the splash screen announcing the new feature.

Test alerts only comes to my email as it did before. I see no way to configure notifications in any other way.

I have no idea what you mean by "VRM-wide User Preferences"

I see no way to configure any user preferences. I see "me" as the singular user with full control and my email address, but I can't change anything about it in the app or the beta website.

same on the betavrm website.

0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

yep. Idiot. It took me forever, but I finally see the "back" in the installation list.

1 comment
2 |3000

Yeh this isn’t completely clear and will come with a video shortly. Thanks for the feedback on what wasn’t 100% straight forward - it shouldn’t require you to think much to get it working
0 Likes 0 ·
harold avatar image
harold answered ·

Checked and Ok sofar!
But how can I take away the News / Notification screen when opening the VRM app?

2 comments
2 |3000

I’ll try and get that removed now - should only happen once, but doesn’t

EDIT - This should now disappear as expected

2 Likes 2 ·
harold avatar image harold Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
Checked, ok now
1 Like 1 ·
pau1phi11ips avatar image
pau1phi11ips answered ·

> On Android, this is allowed by default without asking the user.

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) FYI I had to manually give permission on Android 13.

2 comments
2 |3000

As in your were presented with a prompt to enable, or you needed to go looking in the settings somewhere?
0 Likes 0 ·
pau1phi11ips avatar image pau1phi11ips Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

When I click Enable I get the first screen, then have to click Permissions and can approve it on the next screen. Pretty straight forward but just wanted to highlight the extra steps.

screenshot-20221119-143553.jpg

screenshot-20221119-143605.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
harold avatar image
harold answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Related question, now I am on VRM beta, my wdgets don't update anymore. A coincidence?

5 comments
2 |3000

try deleting the VRM app and reinstalling (from test flight) and then adding the widgets again. If that doesn’t resolve it please let me know.

0 Likes 0 ·
harold avatar image harold Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
Sorry, deleted widgets and vrm, reinstalled the beta and the widgets.

Still no auto refresh

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi @Harold,

Apologies, but I hope that this resolves itself when the feature is pushed back to the normal release (no longer beta).

1 Like 1 ·

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

I am afraid it is was not Beta related!

I moved and reinstalled the normal version, still the same!

0 Likes 0 ·
Ok, not push notifications related. Can you please create a new post?
1 Like 1 ·
gainestr avatar image
gainestr answered ·

screen-shot-2022-11-14-at-90738-am.pngUsing vrm beta on MacBook Pro laptop and tried to enable web push notifications. Keep getting an error indicating that the web browser is not supported. Checking Safari preferences I can see that notifications for betavrm.victronenergy.com is in fact configured to Allow notifications as well as any pop-up windows. Any idea how to enable web push notifications using safari?

EDIT: Deleted my browser history and re-loaded the page. A new pop-up asked me to allow notifications for the website to which I gave it permission. It now appears to work even though I had already set the preferences to the website to allow notifications.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks for the feedback and reporting the work around solution
0 Likes 0 ·
Nicholas Herbst avatar image
Nicholas Herbst answered ·

Awesome! Is this development for the Android platform only or will iOS see push notifications too?

1 comment
2 |3000

Marc Elvery avatar image Marc Elvery commented ·

working for me on iOS using vrm app 2.8.0

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources