question

mito avatar image
mito asked

MULTI RS Solar Operating Temperature

Hi all ,
I was at a point to test in my new small sites the MULTI RS SOLAR, that was interesting for easing the job for some simple configurations that have all-in-one equipment.

I don´t want to loose the reliability that I achieved in my Multi and Quattro sites, but still wanted to check the Multi RS Solar.

I was close to a decision but something brought to my attention that weight was close half to a similar Multiplus II and that should mean something, but Datasheet specs were pretty nice and in particular environment info. I supposed that transformerless products can be achieving new goals and was interesting to give a try.

So I checked Datasheet that operation temperatures were as good as in MP 2,

1667859785887.png

Happy with that I went to the manual and to my concern I read:

1667859944353.png

So, I realized that Datasheet info should be related to storage Temperature, not Operating Temp. So far, as my sites are very exposed to over 40°C , I noticed I could be making a very wrong decision using RS´s.

So I decided to check in the community to find the right answer to this new Victron family of products, very similar to the chinese all-in-one, that I decided to keep them far away of my projects where harsh environments are present.

Rgds

Multi RS
1667859785887.png (28.8 KiB)
1667859944353.png (42.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mito avatar image
mito answered ·

Victron should explain what are the temperature definitions in Data specs, to avoid misunderstandings:

-Operating Temperature Ranges
-Ambient Temperature Ranges

As noticed in my question, in Multi RS and Inverter Datasheet, as well as in MP2, it says Operating temperatures range is from -40°C to 65° C, fan cooled (whatever this mean, as we can have fans to avoid exceeding the range). Then in Instalation manual, says ambient temperature should be less than 40°C , and finally, in the RS Inverter fimware release notes

V5.42 (Released Officially)

2021-06-23

say:

" Add firmware v1.04:

• Features:

• Further increase operational temperature range so the unit can be used up to 65°C ambient temperature "

So, I appreciatte if somebody can bring up some info on the maximum ambient temperature operating ranges, as they are a top spec definition. Boats, Campers and Open Field installations doesn´t provide A/C so Temperature ranges are relevant.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@mito

It is a relatively new product and a product still under development. So there will be more changes to come as it is improved. This you have already seen looking at the release notes.

Anyone who works with electronics understands that the higher the ambient the shorter the lifespan of product and also that derating is an issue. Since everything is rated at 25°C in the electronic world, this is the ideal temperature to run at.

In reality we deal with very different and almost never the ideal. If you use the inverter at higher temperature environments just accomodate with the understanding that there is derating and shorter lifespans, as well as fan noise, especially on smaller form factor items.

0 Likes 0 ·