question

colj avatar image
colj asked

Inverter Voltage UK : 230VAC or 240VAC for a specific supply

HI All,

ESS system (Quattro 48/10000 8kW, Cerbo GX, 20kWh batteries).

My house is the first feed off a local substation/transformer and has a stable 240-245VAC supply.

The default inverter voltage for the UK is 230VAC. However, given my specific supply situation should I set the Inverter voltage to 240VAC to avoid a 10-15V drop when grid failover occurs?

Would there be any other benefits or cons please?

Colin

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargervoltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Given that the UK's nominal Voltage is 230V, I'd leave it set to 230V unless you are having any specific problems with any equipment.

Likewise, my supply Voltage rarely dips below 230V. I did have a problem with a UPS downstream of my MultiPlus which did not like the sudden step in Voltage. I stopped using that UPS.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

colj avatar image colj commented ·

Thanks - as it happens, the 30mA trip on my main fuse board is over sensitive. It tripped on a power failure a couple of nights ago and I was wondering if the instant 15Vac drop when the inverter cut in could have been a contributing factor?

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ colj commented ·
I would not expect the Voltage dip to affect a RCD. If it is doing this then it may be responding to some other problem on one of the circuits downstream or if you suspect that a RCD is over sensitive then perhaps it should considered faulty and be replaced. Have your electrician investigate this.

I have a full RCBO board and none of the RCBO's trip when I switch the grid in or out.

1 Like 1 ·
colj avatar image colj wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

thanks again - just wanted to rule out the voltage drop being a contributing trigger. This sensitive RCD occasionally trips (once a year maybe associated with some grid 'blips' - had hoped the ESS fail over would have been smooth enough to avoid the problem).

0 Likes 0 ·