question

marco-lingua avatar image
marco-lingua asked

Cerbo GX Bluetooth not working

After updating my Cerbo GX to V.2.92 I have problems with the Cerbo's bluetooth. After a few hours it deactivates, disappears, the relative menu is not even visible. If I turn off the Cerbo and turn it back on, the bluetooth is reactivated but disappears again after a few hours.

Has anyone else had the same problem as me?

Thank you

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
christern avatar image
christern answered ·

Just recently read the manual (still don’t have a Cerbo) and it states quite late in the document that the unit shuts down the BT when units internal temperature is above 53 degrees C.
Could that be the case for you?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

We already had that question a time it is a known issue with the build-in Bluetooth module of the Cerbo.

It has a temperature issue.

For a reliable Bluetooth connection is is required to use an external BT dongle.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/connecting-supported-non-victron-products.html#UUID-d91da0a0-9a84-587b-18e8-abf55c6ac8a6

2 |3000

marco-lingua avatar image
marco-lingua answered ·

I do not think it is a problem with the temperature of the deer. It has been installed for more than a year and even during the summer with ambient temperature inside my van well over 40 degrees centigrade I have never encountered this problem. today the temperature was only 17 degrees, possible that the Cerbo has warmed up so much? Could it be that using Node Red heats up a lot more? Anyway I will try to buy an external BT dongle.

1 comment
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·

The more recent firmware versions appear to increase the CPU load which increases the internal temperature. I would expect that running additional services such as node red will increase the CPU load further.

0 Likes 0 ·
brainodo avatar image
brainodo answered ·

I was having the same issue, I have been ok for months and then yesterday there was no blue tooth sensor option in the I/O menu. I plugged in an external blue tooth dongle and the blue tooth light started flashing and the blue tooth option reappeared and my Ruuvi sensors are now online again.

I am running Cerbo GX 2.92 Large, but I don't remember exactly when I updated.

2 |3000

display-station avatar image
display-station answered ·

I have the same problem, after the last update my bluetooth won't even start at all, until now the reset was restarting it, but now the bluetooth is dead. It is very frustrating to buy an expensive gadget like Cerbo GX and find out that it's components are useless and you need to buy more things for it to work normaly....

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
It is most likely that the newer code is working the cerbo harder, raising the temp so the radio is disabled.

Newer Cerbos and the Cerbo S, don't behave this way. Hence the requirement, as documented, was always to use a dongle for external devices.

0 Likes 0 ·
mryoshii avatar image
mryoshii answered ·

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6m9eurTkqA
Found this video. Seems easy to open. If it's temperature related, maybe drilling holes and adding a fan is an option.

2 |3000