question

kiab115 avatar image
kiab115 asked

Multiplus 24v on subpanel

I'm not using my solar setp as a backup, but to run lower watt/amp circuits off grid. The multiplus is set to ignore AC until battery < 50% and then the inverter is run by the AC line from the main panel. My question is:
1. can I move circuits from the main panel to the sub panel so that they are powered by the inverter with batteries until < 50% and then electrical (which at that point would be the same as if it were in the main panel)
2. Can I move only the hot (black) line from the main panel to the sub, leaving the nuetral (white) and ground in the main box? or do all 3 need moved to the sub panel?

I do have concerns with #2, but the box is old and the entire line will be difficult to move, however if I leave Nuetral and Ground in the main box, and there is excess AC supplied by the inverter it would be returned to the main box? Would that cause issues?

ac
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

You must move the hot and neutral connections from the main to sub panel. There are cases where the grid connection is rejected inside the Multi and in that case there is no connection between the input and output neutrals. This could cause zero or double voltage on your load.

The Multi will power the loads connected to it's AC output(s) with a combination of grid and inverter. Power will generally be from the grid with the inverter idle or charging the batteries when the AC input is present and not ignored. The ignore AC input condition will disconnect the grid completely from the input of the Multi (internal relay). In this situation, the inverter will power all loads on AC Out 1 and AC Out 2 will be disconnected.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic