question

marommel avatar image
marommel asked

Cerbo Gx USB Port Power output rating

Hi, as the 3rd usb port on the cerbo is ment to Power a touch display, I would assume it could power other devices. As I can't find any document on how much power the 3rd USB port delivers or any datasheet of the gx touch with information on the power consumption I'd like to ask the community: Can anyone give me some numbers in that case?

Thanks a lot Markus

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

No more than 500 mA - and not supported or advised to do anything with that port except power the GX touch 50 (which is also why it is not well documented for anything except that purpose).

Even that 500 mA may be effected by other USB connected loads - it is not a guarantee.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chris-scott avatar image chris-scott commented ·
Similar question, but from a different angle. I need to install a USB outlet in my camper closer to where my GX 50 will be mounted. Planning on just tying into another 12V wire that's already close by (thermostat, most likely). What amperage does the GX 50 require, so I can be sure I order the correct USB outlet?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ chris-scott commented ·
You will find it difficult to get one that won't have enough power. The lower powered outlets are mostly around 2À.
0 Likes 0 ·
marommel avatar image
marommel answered ·

Thanks for your fast answer. That would meet the USB 1.0 specs. Actually it's a pity that the cerbo is not providing a power out option, as it seems quit convenient to me to run an usb hub or small network switch on the batteries directly. At least in my case I have an usb hub and a switch next to the cerbo. doesn't make sense to me running them on an AC converter.

I'll then use an buck converter for powering them.

2 |3000

zeron avatar image
zeron answered ·

I was considering using a "micro router" to run a "protected" network between Cerbo, Fronius Primo and EV Charger (TP-Link Nano Router TL-WR802N) but 500mA might not be enough, even for such a small device.

So I'll reconsider as well the idea of powering devices from the Cerbo (if there is one device I don't want to overload it has to be the Cerbo !) and stick to AC converters (a network switch isnt using enough power to make it worth it to set up a 48->12V converter just for this purpose)

2 |3000