question

hank-charles-moody avatar image
hank-charles-moody asked

Battery Voltage

Hey guys&galls,

will my system run with batteries at 56V? Even if this is is a general system-question, but would my choosen components from Victron Energy work together in this order?

yrsfltd6opv91.jpg

I'm a newbie, coming from IT and interested alot in this subject, made my research, just checking back with a community and looking for crowd opinion and experience.

It would be a PV expansion and extension with battery; my main concern is the battery voltage; Nissan Leaf Gen I Modules /8V, connected 7Series, giving me 56V but the inverter/charger is running on 48V.

I was elaborating this with some help of the yt video of an nz-guy and a redditor who already build his battery.

Curious what you say to the total system? The idea with used car-batteries vs LifePo4 cells?

Best regards,

Max

MPPT ControllersMultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerBMS
yrsfltd6opv91.jpg (235.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

@hank_charles_moody The unit can go upto 66V.

1666692683693.png

I also am using car batteries for my ESS. I have 4 Tesla 22.2v (25.2v max) batteries in a 2S2P arrangement giving me a 44.4v system, 50.4v max. Schematic & photos on the below link if it helps.

https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/171934/share/db6807bb

1666692683693.png (247.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Louis van der Walt avatar image
Louis van der Walt answered ·

You will be fine at 56V. If I remember correctly Victron can go up to small bit above 60V.

4 comments
2 |3000

hank-charles-moody avatar image hank-charles-moody commented ·
Thank you Louis!

As you're an expert, could you maybe answer me if the devices will work together? I did my research, I read the FAQ and know there shouldn't be general system questions, just that my dealer is on such high demand that he just sent me an offer for the components for 11k and before pulling the trigger I'd like to be sure the devices at hand work together / if there could/should be exchanged something?

Thanks for your time!

Best regards,

Max

0 Likes 0 ·
Louis van der Walt avatar image Louis van der Walt hank-charles-moody commented ·
Victron's sytem is very customisable. All their stuff will work together, except if one is a 12V or 24V module and the others are for 48V (but ther are ways to make that work as well :) ).

The only things I will highlight is that the Leaf batteries will not have any connection to the system. It will be up to the Smartshunt to look at voltage spike to see if the battery is full or not, but you will have no detail of what is happening inside. If you go LifePO4 cells and pick a BMS that is supported by my driver then you will get more data from the cells.

I also question why you are going for a Quatro and not a Multiplus II. The Quatro is normally used where there are many power inputs. You design show only one. The Multiplus II is much better as a grid tie and approved for more countries.

1 Like 1 ·
hank-charles-moody avatar image hank-charles-moody Louis van der Walt commented ·

Thanks Louis, I mazbe have missed the point that the MultiplusII is capable of that, using my grid-tied ac-inverter plus another mppt-charger; I just have to determine now how much my PV or actually my battery can go up while charging to search for the right device: 140A or 200A

This will depend on the size of the battery right?

About your VenusOS driver which usese a serial connection to the GX; I instead would use the Batrium WatchmonCore which uses a CAN connection, there are already fairly a lot of threads about to get it to work over here.

Whats your opinion regarding this? I'd just use one cell-monitor per bank

0 Likes 0 ·
Louis van der Walt avatar image Louis van der Walt hank-charles-moody commented ·

As long as your battery/BMS can share alarms, SOC, Voltages that would be perfect to use. The Batrium should work well. But I don't have any personal experience with it.

0 Likes 0 ·