question

mcmueller2336 avatar image
mcmueller2336 asked

I have 2 Quattro 5k Inverters want to share the load between inverters on a 240v circuit?

As the question asks, I have 2 Quattro inverters (5000w) that each take a phase to produce 240v. My only big consumer of power is a well pump that consumes 2100 watts (8 amps) when running. I know I could easily connect the pump on a 2-pole breaker on one phase, but I was curious about connecting the pump with a hot on each side (L1 & L2) So both inverters can share the load instead of one inverter taking the load whenever the pump starts.

Interested to hear what others have done With similar setups?

offgrid
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jjbond avatar image jjbond commented ·

Watching... I just sunk a well... eager to hear what others have to say... thanks for posting this question.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

This depends on how your inverters are configured:

You say that there is one on each of two phases - are you supplied with a three phase utility feed ( 120 degree phase shift) or is it a 2 phase utility feed (USA style with 180 phase shift)?

If the phase shift is 120 degrees, you will have 415V L1 to L2, if 180 shift, then you will have 480V L1 to L2 (make sure your voltmeter is adequately rated before testing).

Either way, connecting your pump from L1 to L2 will fry the pump.

The other possibility is that the 2 feeds are in phase, with no volt difference from L1 to L2.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble answered ·

I have done just that...it's called split phase.

It is worth the time and effort to configure your system this way.

Split the loads between the inverters and watch how happy you are with the performance.

2 |3000

Related Resources