question

Javier Pardo avatar image
Javier Pardo asked

Problem with EV Charging Station controls in VRM

After several days using the charger I see that the controls to turn charging on or off and change the charging power are very unstable from the VRM portal.

On many occasions, when trying to activate or deactivate the vehicle's charge, the controls do not respond, having to do it directly from the charger screen.

Another thing I've noticed is that the charger screen sometimes gets stuck and unresponsive when changing the charging power from the VRM portal. It only responds again when charging is stopped and the cable is removed from the car.

Another problem that has happened to me is that when I entered the web portal of the charger I found that all the parameters were empty and that no configuration could be saved. The only solution to this problem was to completely turn off the charger and restart it. After this it returned to normal and the parameters were the same as at the beginning.

I see that this system is still very unstable compared to my other charger which is less than half the price of this one.

I trust that Victron fixes these issues soon as all this makes it almost unusable.

Thanks.

ev charging station
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
s-forsberg avatar image
s-forsberg answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Javier Pardo avatar image Javier Pardo commented ·

Thanks for the reply @S_Forsberg .

Has a member of the Victron staff like @Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) given you this solution?

Can there be any consequence of setting this parameter to 0?

If I'm not mistaken, Victron is close to releasing a new firmware revision for this device. I really don't know if this will be soon and if it will solve this type of problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
s-forsberg avatar image
s-forsberg answered ·

Hi Javier,

Yes, this came out as a result of the thread I linked to. The default setting is that the unit scans for new wifi networks each 60 seconds. Each scan causes 3 seconds of downtime and sometimes much longer. If the unit has one stable wifi that is always available, there is no point in scanning for new networks. Setting "Scan period" to 0 disables scan.

Short answer: the consequence is that it will not scan for new potentially better wifi networks each 60 seconds. All other IoT devices I own only set up Wifi parameters once, they do not scan continuously. I am not taking the charging station with me when travelling. :)

2 |3000

Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Guys, let's close this topic, if you don't need scanning for better Wi-Fi networks, just don't use it, you have that option.

4 comments
2 |3000

s-forsberg avatar image s-forsberg commented ·

It is certainly true that we have that option, but it is not documented as far as I can see. A checkbox saying "Periodic scan" would not hurt!

0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ s-forsberg commented ·
We can't document something that was reported on a single system
0 Likes 0 ·
s-forsberg avatar image s-forsberg Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

What I mean is that the function of the fields "Scan period(s)" and "RSSI threshold" lack documentation, they don't even have units! All other fields, especially in the "General" tab are very well described. This has nothing to do with my system.

0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ s-forsberg commented ·

Noted, it will be added

0 Likes 0 ·