question

usernamepasswordbs avatar image
usernamepasswordbs asked

Difference between Cerbo and Cerbo S

Hi,

Is there any reason that i should choose a Cerbo over a Cerbo S is my question.

I will install Pylontech batteries which have their own BMS i think and the only difference I can see on the Cerbo S is that it has no BMS port which I shouldn't need anyway.

Anything I have missed? Quite possible!

John.

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@usernamepasswordbs

The Cerbo-S GX is also missing the resistive tank level and temperature inputs. It also only has a single CAN bus port that supports VE.Can and 2nd interface for BMS-Can port (like the Cerbo GX has).

Other than that it's the same.

See a comparison between both models here: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Cerbo-GX-GX-Touch-EN.pdf

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nbo avatar image nbo commented ·
Would it be possible to connect a Victron tank 140 to a Cerbo S gx if tank info is requiered later?
0 Likes 0 ·
tyr avatar image
tyr answered ·

Batteries often have their own BMS but many use the BMS Can Port to communicate with the Cerbo and supply the system with parameters like charge current limit, battery temperature and batter voltage. I believe that Pylontech uses CAN as well, I'd check that before making a purchase decision. Battery to Cerbo communication IS a desired feature you'd want to have if possible.

2 |3000

usernamepasswordbs answered ·

Yes, I forgot about the tank level thing but as it is for a house installation I won't need that either.

Temperature input might be interesting though. Can you tell me what that would be used for?

1 comment
2 |3000

They can be used to sense all kind of temperatures, fridge, freezer, batteries whatever. And it is possible to drive the relays based on temperature.

However, you can do without the temperature inputs, as they can also be replaced by Bluetooth sensors such as the RuuviTags. And that without additional installation effort.

0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs answered ·

Ok thanks for your answers. I think i'll pay the extra for the Cerbo (not S) for the extra features after all.

2 |3000