question

salv avatar image
salv asked

Victron CCGX color control firmware issue

Hi, have a problem with CCGX color control as it sometimes hangs from starting generator on low voltage settings to make it start to the point where the batteries shut off and also the display sometimes shows -- on home screen for a few seconds It's running on V2.05 firmware dated 2017 which when I tried to check for updates online it replied 'no update available', could someone advise and if this is the best firmware for it or do I just manually do it with the latest firmware as I just want these bugs fixed

System is complete off-grid all Victron other than batteries, Multiplus 5kw, 2 X mppt, smartshunt, CCGX and lithium batteries

Any help appreciated

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

14 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Salv

You for real? v1.05 dates from 2013.

The latest is v2.92, but you can't update via the internet from Gen1.x, you'll need to follow this procedure.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:firmware_upgrade_to_v2

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

salv avatar image
salv answered ·

Sorry JohnC typo error I meant Firmware version V2.05 otherwise the mppt wouldn't have shown up

Also I spoke to a Victron dealer and he said probably you can't update it which seems a bit strange I also know there are newer firmware hence this post, would I just manually update to the latest firmware? Or just a few versions newer or leave it as it is

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@Salv

Yeh, did seem strange to be that old. There's been a lot of things happen since v2.05 though, so go for the latest released v2.92.

If online (and make sure you really are online) and you get that message, try to force it anyway. If that won't work try that manual method with the microSD card.

Most of us are probably a little rusty with this, so mightn't remember the details. Be patient though, it might take a few minutes to execute. Don't be pressing buttons to hurry it up.. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
salv avatar image
salv answered ·

Thanks for the quick response, I tried for ages it was showing connected and when it did go through I got that message, would it make a difference as haven't got the online vrm portal as it's never online other than this time for update, I know the procedure how to manually update it just a bit concerned whether it is wise to the latest version or doesn't it matter

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@Salv

The easy way to do this is to get VRM up. Don't really know where you are with that.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:start

1 Like 1 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I would be taking it to the latest version. as there are lots of fixes in there along the way. I have plenty of CCGX units running 2.92 . Also while you are online I would strongly suggest that you also add GUIMods add on as well. as it will give you a lot more info on the primary display tiles plus some nice gen autostart changes - Just a suggestion. (search the community for GUIMODS and you will find the info)

1666492757703.png

1666492757703.png (190.3 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

salv avatar image salv commented ·

Thanks for that, i.also had another problem before when on AGM, the SOC hanging which destroyed my batteries as advised from another Victron dealer I didn't need a bmv, stupid!

So with the latest firmware you have add-on option, cool.

So as message with JohnC have you had problem with online update as it looks like I have to do it manually, as I don't have vrm would this stop online update?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ salv commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
salv avatar image
salv answered ·

Thanks JohnC I know of that link for a while now just there isn't any details that I have been looking thanks for your help

2 |3000

salv avatar image
salv answered ·

Thanks Paul B, I try to the latest firmware manually and see what happens as this was my original intention just wanted to double check hence my first ever post!

I keep posted thanks again for all advise given

2 |3000

salv avatar image
salv answered ·

Hi just done firmware update to V2.92 all seem okay but on the display tiles the generator labelled box is now just a red box with two -- with no name any idea guys

2 |3000

salv avatar image
salv answered ·

Display tiles red box is usually named generator

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Salv

You have some set up to do. There are so many more options now.

You would need to go into the menu - settings -system setup and choose/set your input there.

0 Likes 0 ·
salv avatar image
salv answered ·

It's set AC1 to Generator as before, still nothing

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·
@Salv

It should show Generator when the gen is running. That's like a generic tile, and if you were running a Quattro it would show whatever ac input is being used at the time. If none in use, then you get the '--'.

1 comment
2 |3000

So different than before as the tile was labelled as Generator even when not running, I check when on next run time and see if anything changes thanks JohnC
0 Likes 0 ·
salv avatar image
salv answered ·

Yes it shows generator when running, let's hope all goes well Thankyou all

2 |3000

Dave Rae avatar image
Dave Rae answered ·

Yeah I agree the TILE should still show the appropriate label it’s configured for, and an ON/OFF label to round it out. That would make more sense, instead of (what’s that big red TILE for). In the VRM the label (GENERATOR) is displayed even if its no running, would be nice to have the same graphical config on the CCGX/CERBO displays.

1 comment
2 |3000

That's how it was before update just labelled Generator even when not running.

0 Likes 0 ·
salv avatar image
salv answered ·

Update still has the delay lag as before for the low voltage generator start

2 |3000

salv avatar image
salv answered ·

One other small issue you can't change the generator total hours run,

If someone knows how be great,

I've seen on another post someone mentioned about a 'super user mode'?? Any ideas?

2 |3000