question

sbenz avatar image
sbenz asked

Cummins Generator and Multiplus

Hallo,

I have a Cummins 7kW Generator which produces 220V/30.4A.

This is connected as 220V power input to my multiplus 1600 charger/inverter.

The charger inverter usually loads the battery with landpower >100A when battery is at 70%.

Using the generator the battery is charging only with max ~44A.

From my perspective the loading capacity using the 7kW generator as a source should be much higher. Actually I would assume almost the same as with landpower.

Why is it loading with such a low A and how can I change this?

Kind regards

Stefan

Multiplus-IIGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
sbenz avatar image
sbenz answered ·

Hi I found the solution.

There is a switch in the settings for the Multiplus called

Weak AC input

This seems to reduce the charge current significantly.

I unchecked it and the generator as well as land power are almost at 70A charge current.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

@sbenz …. Hello Stefan, I’m not sure what voltage the Multiplus is but even the 12 volt version has a maximum charging client of 70amps. Is it possible when mains is used another charging source is engaged as the multiplus cannot supply the 100 amps quoted?

1 comment
2 |3000

sbenz avatar image sbenz commented ·

Hi,

thanks, you are right. The inverter/charger max load is only 70A. The only other source are solar panels with 400W. I need to recheck if it really shows >100A.

Nevertheless my main issue is why is the charger not loading at least with the 70A with the generator as the source?

0 Likes 0 ·
billknny avatar image
billknny answered ·

What kind and size of batteries? What is the state of charge and battery voltage when you see 44 Amp charging current?

1 comment
2 |3000

I think it was 70% and voltage of the 4x130AH Gel batteries was around 12.6V.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

One of the settings in the Multiplus is an AC input current limit. This will affect the charge rate. I think the original value on your unit is 10A.

It can be set with a Mk3 USB adapter, PC/laptop and VE Configure software. Or from the control panel if you have a GX device connected to the system.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi,

thanks for the input but I do not think this is the issue since the Multiplus properly loads with land power up to 70A.

Could it be that the generator limts of ~40A at 220V is limiting also at 12V?

0 Likes 0 ·