question

assyntdavid avatar image
assyntdavid asked

ESS exports excess solar to grid instead of charging Pylontech battery

This a re-post of a question from several days ago, but hopefully with much better focus and clarity - hope that's OK.

My ESS consists of Multi 2 48/10000, 4x Pylontech US5000 with an ac coupled PV array and Solaredge inverter.

After several days of monitoring it seems that the core issue I am concerned about is that the Pylontech batteries do not start to charge until the excess PV power reaches somewhere in excess of 200W. Thus the situation illustrated below can in pratice exist all day exporting all excess PV to the grid. Even ay circa 1kWh that is a loss of valuable energy at this latitude! I know the excess illustrated is only 73W but I have seen it sit consistently nearer 200W, I just don't have a screenshot of that.screenshot-2022-10-13-at-10-35-20-home-vrm-portal.pngIn theory I believe that ALL PV excess after powering the loads should charge the batteries which here are sitting at the set minimum SOC of 85%. That is not happening.

Today we have some usable sunshine, and the batteries are charging, but once again they only started to do so once the excess exceeded ~200W. It is as if there is some sort of minimum that must be exceeded to shift the batteries from 'Idle' to 'Charge'. I have contacted Pylontech, but surprise, surprise - no response. I can see nothing under settings that I can change that would influence this. Has anyone any ideas as to how this can be improved?

I also observe that the system seems very slow to respond to changing solar gain consequent upon the clouds that decorate the sky in the north of Scotland. Is this to be expected? When the cloud arrives the batteries keep charging at the same rate drawing power from the grid before the grid power drops away towards zero. When the cloud passes the reverse happens as illustrated below.screenshot-2022-10-15-at-14-00-27-home-vrm-portal.pngI presume that simply reflects how the multiplus algorithms work, but it is a shame it can't be more responsive.

I hope this doesn't sound overly negative. This is my second Victron system. Overall I like the gear, and love the documentation and support provided by Victron and the forum. I just like to understand how systems work and optimise them as best I can.

I do hope there is someone who can cast light on this. I could find no similar reference in the forum.

Thanks to all.

David

ESSPylontech
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@assyntdavid

Do you have optimised with battery life enabled?

0 Likes 0 ·
assyntdavid avatar image assyntdavid commented ·

Thank you @Alexandra for responding. No I don't have BatteryLife enabled which is why the screenshot shows ESS#1 only (ie ESS#2 missing). I did initially turn BatteryLife on but it's behaviour seemed to be confusing matters. On a dull day it partially recharged the batteries from the grid up to 90%. But on a sunny day the PV could recharge batteries from 85% to 100% on their own. I also suspected the behaviour I have described, so whilst BatteryLIfe seems to work as described in the documentation, the system is optimized without BatteryLife at the moment whilst I try and work out what is happening.screenshot-2022-10-15-at-18-51-40-home-vrm-portal.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ assyntdavid commented ·

On the lower charge currents the batteries are not really good at measuring them. With the Pylons controlling the system (hence the external control condition), I would assume it is a battery bahaviour.

Does disconnecting from grid change anything?

Or switching to zero feed in?

0 Likes 0 ·
14 Answers
assyntdavid avatar image
assyntdavid answered ·

Thanks again Alexandra, I appreciate the comments. I am also concluding that the trouble is a reluctance of the batteries to 'wake up' but have no knowledge as to how 'wake up' is signalled. (Thus my email to Pylon, but no answer.)

Disconnect from grid will prevent export of power and the house will run from batteries but . . .

I have previously tried setting zero feedin and am pretty sure it made no difference, because if the batteries won't move from 'idle' then presumably the power has to go somewhere. However, export was permitted at the time of posting. I have now turned it off again to check.screenshot-2022-10-16-at-18-52-35-home-vrm-portal.pngI'll watch what happens.

In the hope that it might help here are the graphs from today.

screenshot-2022-10-16-at-18-39-51-home-vrm-portal.png

To me they clearly show unwanted feed in of solar power. If you combine this unwanted export of solar power with the power cost of running the system then it would seem the best thing to do is to disconnect the ESS system outside of summer. Such a pity.

Thanks again for your thoughtful comments.

David

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

awalkerinuk avatar image
awalkerinuk answered ·

Just for clarification what do you have measuring the grid use and feed back is it ET112 or similar?

Just checking as I know the ferrite cores are slow to react etc. so avoided that and went for a ET112.

I some times see a bit go back to the grid but not 200W and how long have you been running ESS? as mine took a while to settle after it was set up.

5 comments
2 |3000

@awalkerinuk I really appreciate your contribution as this is my first on grid set up and it is intrinsically more complex than my previous offgrid set up elsewhere.

Answering your points, all measurements are from the Multi except the PV power where the AC coupled Solaredge inverter is connected to the system via MODBUS. The documentation clearly indicates that no external energy or current meters are needed for such a set up but I am obviously open to consider what works better.

The system was switched on 3 weeks ago. The performance has been pretty consistent since, no observable sign of 'learning'. It is only over the past 4 or 5 days that we have had reasonable sunshine and I have been able to keep a better eye on things during the day. Re moving from 'idle' to 'charge' today's behaviour is essentially a repeat of that I posted for yesterday. (Writing this has made me realise I could improve the logging interval for better resolution - now dropped from every 5 min to 1 min.)

Re slow reaction to varying PV input I can understand some power going to and from the grid as the Multi reacts to fluctuating PV power. Although that is slower than I expected I can accept it may simply be a design constraint. (I am a physicist, not an electrical engineer.)

I was hopeful the expertise in the community would be able to help. If I still have the same 'wake up' issue in a few days I shall try contacting Victron support direct. I simply don't understand why it requires so much available PV power for the batteries to come out 'idle' and start 'charging'. It does feel like something is not set up correctly, but what? If it is an unavoidable characteristic of the Pylontech batteries then that is very disappointing.

Thanks again,

David

0 Likes 0 ·
awalkerinuk avatar image awalkerinuk assyntdavid commented ·

So my 'self installed' ESS consists of Multi 2 48/3000, 1x Pylontech US3000 with an AC coupled PV array in paralel which uses Enphase inverters.

You can run the measurements from the Multi but on reading about excess feed back and slow reaction to changes I went for the ET112. But I realise on just rereading the ESS it looks like an option to the system.

Just might be a possibility!

But my Pylontech batteries are harvesting very well with little lag time. Which is why i mention the energy meter

Just to be clear I am no expert, I have an Electronics back ground and have installed the system myself. But have read plenty and asked a few questions on here.

0 Likes 0 ·
assyntdavid avatar image assyntdavid awalkerinuk commented ·

@awalkerinuk Can I ask - do you notice any consistent lag before your battery starts charging? I have wondered if part of my experience is down to me having 4 batteries. If each requires a minimum charge current to 'wake up' then you would have a similar effect but perhaps at a much lower, and less noticeable level. My system could be considered oversized for the limited PV capture this time of year. I am hoping to take advantage of future variable tariffs and possibly increased PV array.

0 Likes 0 ·
awalkerinuk avatar image awalkerinuk assyntdavid commented ·
I normally notice very little lag as soon as I am exporting very low levels 80w if i rember correctly the charger kicks in and charges the battery. But sure i have seen low levels.

But maybe the bigger battery system does take more but I am not sure on that.

Where are you based? as in the UK I have just moved to ECO7 tariff, not as good as an EV tariff. But cheaper for overnight charging.

0 Likes 0 ·
assyntdavid avatar image assyntdavid awalkerinuk commented ·
Thanks, that sort of fits.

I am in North Scotland. I understand Eco7 tariffs for Smart meters do exist, but to date all suppliers I have contacted say they are closed to new customers for now.

David

0 Likes 0 ·
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Your ESS setup page is set for "Total of all phases" which is only appropriate if you have a 3-phase setup, maybe that is the problem.

The internal CT is actually faster than an external meter so I doubt that is the issue. However it might be the response time of the Modbus connection to the Solaredge. If this is connected on the AC-Out it will actually work OK without any data at all from the PV inverter (though you will not see the generation figure separately, it just looks like a negative load), you could try that.

2 |3000

assyntdavid avatar image
assyntdavid answered ·

@sharpener That part of the set up puzzled me as well but the Victron ESS guides states 'For single-phase systems, this setting has no effect and can therefore be ignored.' I have just gone to change it and it and I get some pretty scary warnings. Have you done this yourself, can you provide reassurance. I don't have the knowledge (or confidence) to overule Victron's guidance.

Thanks very much for the feedback, it is all helping - although the eureka moment has yet to arrive.

David

2 |3000

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Mine has always been set to Individual Phase. I have just had a look, I think the warnings in white on black apply only to a 3-phase setup. I don't think you will come to any harm if you change it but it is a bit of a long shot, if the solaredge is on the AC-Out I would try disconnecting its modbus to begin with.

2 comments
2 |3000

@sharpener Your comment re the Solaredge PV inverter prompted me to re-read all those instructions regarding Solaredge inverters. Mine is 6yr olds know and I had to update the firmware to be able to use the Modbus connectivity. The LCD menus on it differ slightly from the menu choices in the instructions and on going through it all again I realised I hadn't done the bit about enable SunSpec via RS481 (whatever that it is or does?). I decided to give that a go before disconnecting it as you suggested. Results are inconclusive. I don't seem to have broken anything, and there is a hint it may be behaving better, but today I was not able to keep an eye on the display 'real time' and the logged V & I on the data graphs never multiply to give a power reading that agrees with the real time displays of power (not sure why, could be sensitivty, phase, or .?) so I trust them less.

Similarly good 'realtime' observation is not going to be possible tomorrow, thus I am leaving this set up until Thurs, and if it is no better I will try undoing the Modbus communication as you suggest. I shall keep looking and report back Thurs whatever.

Yours and other suggestions have all been much appreciated.

Regards,

David

0 Likes 0 ·
sharpener avatar image sharpener assyntdavid commented ·
Am no expert but sounds like you would need SunSpec over RS485 (sic) to send the data to the Multi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modbus so it may solve your problem.

ATB with it!

0 Likes 0 ·
assyntdavid avatar image
assyntdavid answered ·

This simply an update on the above. I explored all the suggestions above but little if anything changed (but many thanks for trying to help). That included turning off Modbus, which I expected to result in a loss of communication between the Cerbo and ac coupled Solaredge inverter, but no, eveything continued as before! Presumably communicating over the LAN.

Three weeks ago I sent a message to the Victron dealer via the reseller asking if the situation above is normal and expected. Disappointed to have received neither acknowledgement nor reply. I must assume that whilst the ideal is to use available PV power to power the ac loads, then charge batteries and then export to the grid is the ideal the Multiplus cannot in fact achieve this when surplus power after supplying house loads is low i.e. <200W.

Over winter, ie the next 2 months, this makes no difference as it is very exceptional for PV power to exceed the house base load. Over summer, i.e. April to September these extra 'loses' should not matter as PV energy will exceed the house demand. It is the shoulder 4 month period in between when this will show up. Pity, but heh hoh, everything else seems to work fine and as expected.

It's all a learning curve.

1 comment
2 |3000

ajmacleod avatar image ajmacleod commented ·

I am new to this myself, but having a smaller system even further north than you which works as expected I think the main difference may be AC vs DC coupled solar.

My system is 2x400W panels, MultiPlus 24/3000, BlueSolar MPPT, 2x200Ah generic LifePo4 batteries monitored by a SmartShunt.

Here's earlier this morning for example, the sun barely making an appearance at that point;

-20221122-095702.jpg

You can see that even with only 16W the system is making use of PV to start bringing the battery back to my minimum SOC (95% for now, the primary purpose of the system is as a UPS.) Yesterday there was plenty of solar to charge the battery to 100% and simultaneously power all the AC loads - it's very responsive even on days where the sun is coming and going.

0 Likes 0 ·
-20221122-095702.jpg (105.7 KiB)
gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

Do you have any AC loads at all on the input side of the multiplus? Where is the input fed from?

2 |3000

assyntdavid avatar image
assyntdavid answered ·

Oops @Gazza I missed your comment. No loads at all in input side. Uk National Grid is collected to ACin. House load is connected to ACout1 (including the Solaredge PV Inverter. This to allow house to function as normal in case of power cut (unlikely as that may be).

2 |3000

ponzoa avatar image
ponzoa answered ·

You mention 2 x Multi II 48/10000 which I take are in Parallel. My understanding is that Parallel is only supported upto 48/5000 and that the 8, 10 / 15KVA units don't accept parallel setups (something I hope is solved shortly via firmware). If this is the case, could this be what's causing the lag?

2 |3000

gunzenbomz avatar image
gunzenbomz answered ·

Have you tried the uk pylontech email: service.uk@pylontech.com.cn

2 |3000

assyntdavid avatar image
assyntdavid answered ·

Thanks for continued suggestions - always very much appreciated.

1) There is only 1 x Multi II 48/10000, sorry for that confusion.

2) At the beginning I did email Pylontech. As reported by others I recieved no response or acknowledgement from them. Has anyone had any joy on that front?

I think I just need to accept things as they are, perhaps a future firmware update may help. Several details of the Multi operation seem mildy strange. In the evening when the grid is 'passed through' with minimal background load and no battery charging, often you hear an acceptable low intensity hum, on other occassions under apparently identical load conditions the mains hum is very loud. When this happens the difference between ACin power and ACout power is much greater. Something (some grid parameter?) seems to cause some internal algorithm to start working overtime for no obvious reason. But that's another subject!

All the best

David

1 comment
2 |3000

1234enough avatar image 1234enough commented ·

I have multiplus ii gx 48v 5000va &18x lf280k &et112 for grid meter, I have grid set point around 100w to maintain grid import of around 20w.

VRM reports import of around 100 - 120w, but electricity suppliers smart meter reports import of around 20w, anoying but system is working as it should with these settings.

Have you tried altering grid set point in VRM-remote console - ESS, then seeing if this affects charging? / export ect, may help may not.

Also I find the VRM as reported measurements are not gospel, compare whatever the VRM is reporting with other measuring devices - smart meter / test clamp meter on meter tails and or grid tied inverter / known loads ect.

0 Likes 0 ·
assyntdavid avatar image
assyntdavid answered ·

I'm not surprised to read what @ajmacleod reports and also suspect that AC coupled PV makes it harder for the system to control import/export.

Regarding comments from @1234enough I can confirm that the readings for V, I and P are inconsistent. The Smart meter on the grid supply reported an export kWh figure which was roughly consistent with the power display on Victron over time. The current reading is the most suspect and at lowish power is usually recording a current 2x or more than you would expect from a simply V I = P calculation. No idea how the unit determines the power if the current reading is so far out.

I did experiment with grid set point and disabling feed in (as shown above) but these changes had little, if any, noticable effect on the lack of battery charging.

When I eventually succeed in moving to a 'time of day' tariff and start to charge the batteries at night I can only hope that the ESS system does discharge the batteries during the day rather than taking in the expensive daytime grid power. At least then I have the option of disconnecting the grid during daytime as a last resort!

Regards and thanks to all.

2 |3000

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

There seem to be some similarities to this thread https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/147417/simple-grid-connected-multiplus-ii-4810000-and-pyl.html.

Perhaps break the problem into three parts:

• Disconnect the PV inverter completely (AC and all data connections), does the system then work correctly as an ESS, charging at night and discharging by day? Does it keep it at a constant grid setpoint? This setup is like the above link, and needs to be sorted first.
  • If OK re-connect the Solaredge AC (but not the data) at a time the house loads are more than the PV output, so it should simply reduce the apparent load. Does it still keep the grid setpoint constant as the sun goes in/out?
  • If yes, the problem is with the speed of response of the solaredge data. Maybe use an ET112 instead, I have a Multi 5k set up like this with dumb PV inverter, works fine. But perhaps the problem is a peculiarity of the Multi 10k as you and @NetZeroDude both seem to have similar issues?
2 |3000

assyntdavid avatar image
assyntdavid answered ·

Thanks @sharpener on all counts. The other thread is very interesting and useful. Gives me more hope that if I do succeed in moving to an Eco 7 tariff (it is taking forever) then it my set up should work.

Your logical approach re ESS noted, and will be used if needed when Eco 7 ESS finally set up. I have previously explored the solaredge data delay theory to no avail, but not as rigorously as you suggest. Superficially the PV readout on the Touch Screen display is realtime in that the readings fluctuate constantly as expected with varying cloud cover. However, as I cannot view the Solaredge and Victron displays simultaneously, I would be unaware of consistent time delay of several second which, if present, could confuse matters. This still does not, in my head, account for the refusal of the system to start charging the batteries when there is acontinous PV power excess over AC loads of 150W to 200W.

I did not fit a changover switch as shown in @NetZeroDude thread and advised by you, but have been considering it. Now thinking I should do that - thanks. Your time responging is appreciated.

2 |3000