question

vassilis-bourdakis avatar image
vassilis-bourdakis asked

2.91 Large Signal K inconsistency in N2K PGN implementation [Windlass, Maretron Proprietary Temp and Small Craft Status]

hi,

not quite sure whom to address that to, so goes here for starters, please let me know if I need to direct it elsewhere!

Been using Large and SignalK for over a year now and I knew that on each reinstall I had to add some new PGN fields to the signalK files on the rpi.

So, this time on 2.91 I was pleasantly surprised to find that the above mentioned pgns were included (but only in half- bear with me!)

So:

PGN128777 and 128778 Windlass sentences (chain out/in, speed, time windlass used, state, type of rode, etc etc)

PGN130823 Maretron: Proprietary Temperature High Range (the only REAL way to measure temps higher than circa 280C in N2K!)

PGN130576 Small Craft Status (trim tabs on motorboats - a nice to have but not really groundbreaking...)

are included in:

/usr/lib/node_modules/signalk-server/node_modules/@canboat/pgns/pgns.json 

HOWEVER, the .js files which are needed in order to export these info into something useful like say Grafana is missing for these sentences from:

/usr/lib/node_modules/signalk-server/node_modules/@signalk/n2k-signalk/pgns/

(and the pointers to index.js on the same folder)

I'm happy to provide the 4 .js files and the extra lines on the index.js, not quite sure why this happened.

FWIW, I think I've reported and gave the descriptions to these PGNs to the SignalK lot (somehow over a year ago) Now the .json files are better than mine (as in are not missing some bits -I'd only done the "necessary" stuff!) so probably done by someone else, but still are not useable/exportable in signalk as they stand.

Slightly confused!

cheers

V.

NMEA 2000 - N2KSignalK
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@Vassilis Bourdakis The VenusOS includes standard released Signalk. SignalK includes standard and released canboatjs. So what you are asking is not simple...

Canboatjs needs to be updated and the updated version pulling into SignalK.

SignalkK then needs too update it's definitions on mapping CAN data from canboatjs

VenusOS then needs to update the version of SignalK that is shipped inside it.

All three development teams have different priorities. Your best bet and what has worked for me is to create a fork of the relevant components, modify them including test data and submit pull requests. They re very open to people expanding the capability. I know it is painful if you are not experienced with nodes, git, etc. However, it is all developed free and teh developers have their own priorities.

One of the key developers for Canboatjs and SignalK hang out in the SiganlK slack forum, which I believe I have also seen you in and posted.

It looks like you have done a lot of the hard work by getting your system working, know just feed it back to the developers and it will happen.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vassilis-bourdakis avatar image
vassilis-bourdakis answered ·

thanks,

thought it would be some coordination issue tbh, been messing with computers for 30odd years, but I'm not a programmer nor ever had any proper training so certain things I try to avoid if I can help it.

I am indeed following signalk slack forum (during the winter and not when boating :-) time to start again for the season) and last winter tried to create a fork and do something with that. re the abovementioned updates. Don't even remember how that pan out (I think a kind soul tried to help and move some forward), github is not a place I want to spent time other than picking up code and figuring out what it does...

Judging from the folder names above, looks like canboatjs is updated, and signalk is not, so I'll pm sbender and ask him :-)

V.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic