question

richdove avatar image
richdove asked

BYD batteries not discharging past 35%

System has discharged to 6% in the past. This made sense given the 95% DOC. In the past weeks the minimum has been 25%, 30% and now 35%. The system has 3 x 4kwh batteries and a Victron Multplus 2 inverter. My installer has said this is normal, the system is set up to protect the batteries. In addition in the VRM app the inverter has shown 55% Battery charge for the past few days though the history reads correctly so assume the WiFi connection is good.

I’m not electric savy but feel I need to point my installer in the right direction.

battery protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I guess BatteryLife ist active and the PV-production was lower than the consumption the past days.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/controlling-depth-of-discharge.html#UUID-af4a7478-4b75-68ac-cf3c-16c381335d1e

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

richdove avatar image richdove commented ·
Thank you, the link you provided was useful. If I understood correctly and I’m not generating more PV than I’m consuming the amount of capacity that I can’t access in the battery will increase, only by fully charging the battery will the limit be increased. It does appear counter intuitive as if the generation is lower than consumption you would want to access the 35% “reserve” held in the battery. I don’t understand if a battery requires a minimum state of charge this can’t be set?
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ richdove commented ·
Batterylife is good for northern hemisphere sites where PV varies, it adjusts your desired minimum so the batteries always charge fully, preventing SOC drift and cell imbalances.

You can turn it off by using the normal optimised mode.

0 Likes 0 ·
richdove avatar image richdove nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks, how do I switch to normal optimised mode?
0 Likes 0 ·
richdove avatar image richdove richdove commented ·
A quick update, batteries now not discharging below 80%. I can’t believe this is good for the health of the battery?
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic