question

anthony-d avatar image
anthony-d asked

Assistant advice: AC2 out only when grid is available when AC1 in is ignored...

Setting up a multiplus on a boat for a friend. The boat is either in port with a shoreline, or cruising with a genny. I have set unit to ignore AC1in, with various exceptions, to make use of solar power. I would like to make AC2out conditional on shore power (AC1in), but how is this possible when AC1in is ignored?

I am assuming that with AC1 ignored, AC2out will not come on; without AC2out on, the load will not be sufficient to override Ignore AC1.

Assistants
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

Yes, it's catch-22, i threw out the vs .

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

@Anthony D …if you want to minimise shore power or generator power perhaps you may consider ignoring AC input based on SOC and not load. Perhaps you may consider switching AC2 on with a higher SOC level and disconnecting at a lower SOC.

In my experience it is rare to not use AC input or generator if either are available but if that is your wish, so be it. Select the programmable relay assistant using the VE.Configure software and follow the available prompts to provide the conditions for AC2 out to be operative. In this way you are minimising shore power or generator power and using solar until the batteries need some help. If shore power not available you could employ an auto generator start to unsure batteries are not depleted too much.

All of this is predicated on battery capacity, multiplus power rating, solar panels and charging systems being big enough to sensibly be used in this way.

1 comment
2 |3000

anthony-d avatar image anthony-d commented ·

Thank you for your input. I thought that I must be missing the obvious. Given that AC2out was to be supplying a hot water immersion and with limited solar and battery capacity, I shall probably put the immersion on a spur from the AC1 input to the Multiplus. Hopefully this will mean that it can only run when the shoreline or genny are available.

I find that using assistants is elegant and creative, but for the uninitiated, it is a nuisance to have to pull out the laptop and VECongig whenever circumstances change.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources