question

jackormark-82 avatar image
jackormark-82 asked

How to charge canopy battery when car is running by alternator and at the same time charge with my solar panels?

I have a redarc bcdc 50a charger and want to use it to charge my 280ah lithium battery when driving and add a solar blanket when stopped. I also have 2 x 170w solar panels on my ute canopy and a mppt 100/20 victron. How can i set my system up so my battery is charged simultaneously when driving by both redarc and victron mppt?

dc systemsmart solar charging behaviour
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

You should be able to simply parallel all chargers to the battery. The concern would be in exceeding the maximum charging current of the battery bank. The most you are going to get out of the 100/20 is 20 amps and the max from the redarc is 50 so the total is going to be 70 max. Lithiums will generally charge at 0.5 C (140 amps in your case) without any issues.

You will need to set both chargers to equal absorption and float voltages that match the battery's specs. The chargers may not track exactly but that shouldn't be an issue.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic