question

M.C. Pretorius avatar image
M.C. Pretorius asked

CCGX connection to Multiplus

Good evening Guy.

Please advise/confirm connection of Multiplus 3000, CCGX and BMV700.

According to schematics a VE.Bus to Ve.Can interface, part number ASS030520105 should be used?

I have been informed that there are 2 versions now: Part numbers ASS030710018 VE Can to Can Bus Type A cable 1.8M, and ASS030720018 VE Can to Can Bus Type B cable 1.8M?

These seems to be VE.CAN units, and not VE.Bus?

I could not get the CCGX to communicate with the MULTI so far.

Thanks for the advice!

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

The Ve.Can type A and B cables are for connecting different lithium batteries to the can port on the CCGX. To communicate from the multi to the color control you just need a RJ45 cable, between the Ve.Bus connection on the Multi and the Ve.Bus connection on the CCGX

12 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

M.C. Pretorius avatar image M.C. Pretorius commented ·

Evenin Murraynated.

Many thanks for your response. The following for your further kind perusal:

1. We have indeed tried to connect the Multi and the CCGX with an Rj45 cable, but, after power up of the CCGX, it only shows the Victron Blue screen. It does not react any further?

We have just now downloaded the "Recover CCGX" software from the Victron website. The intent is to try and "recover/update" the CCGX.

Your comments on this?

We have been running the system for several years with only an BMV700, but now want to add the CCGX, which was obtained originally with the other system parts, but not installed. Maybe the software is outdated now?

Looking forward to your reply/advice!

Regards!

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ M.C. Pretorius commented ·

where did you connect the cables to? what ports?

0 Likes 0 ·
M.C. Pretorius avatar image M.C. Pretorius boekel ♦ commented ·

Good day Boekel.

We connected the RJ45 to the VE.Bus terminals on both the Multi and the CCGX. Seems the software of the CCGX was outdated.

All up and running now. Thanks for the interest and response. Appreciate your interaction!

Regards,

Baardbek

0 Likes 0 ·
Murray van Graan avatar image Murray van Graan M.C. Pretorius commented ·

a blue screen fix need to be done from an SD card or usb stick (I prefer SD card), I trust you are following this procedure described here? https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:firmware_upgrade_to_v2

Note that this link is for updating from V1.74 to the newer V2.xx firmware, but since it’s a few years old I suspect your CCGX is still on the older firmware.

Let me know what happens when the CCGX has booted again. If it was left a few years the firmware is definitely outdated, but it should still have picked up the multi if connected correctly.

Also ensure you unplug all devices from the CCGX before doing the update

0 Likes 0 ·
M.C. Pretorius avatar image M.C. Pretorius Murray van Graan commented ·

Good day again Murraynated.

I have posted/replied to your/our earlier interaction to thank you again for your response and advice.

CCGX is now up and running. Info on the CCGX does not tally with the BMV at the moment, but apparently there is a good reason for this? No big deal at the moment though.

Would appreciate your comments and/or advice when you can find the time for that?

Many thanks again!

Have a very pleasant day!

0 Likes 0 ·
M.C. Pretorius avatar image M.C. Pretorius commented ·

Good morning Murraynated!

Just to thank you again for responding to my earlier request for advice.

I have since been able to "update" the software for the CCGX, and it is now up and running. It seems that I had been too much in a hurry initially, and interrupted the downloading and installation of the new software prematurely. My stupid mistake!! :-(:-(

Currently the info on the CCGX does not tally with the BMV, but apparently there are some reason for that? No big issue right now though.

Would like your comments/advice when you can find the time for that.

Thanks again!!

0 Likes 0 ·

That’s great! Go to settings, system setup in the CCGX and check whether the BMV is selected as the battery monitor

0 Likes 0 ·

Murraynated,

Thanks for your attention again.

The BMV is connected to the "shunt" in the negative battery line, while the CCGX reads form the Multi.

Obviously the sources differ. Could that be the reason for the discrepancy?

Further, the CCGX indicates 20% on the battery side of the standard screen. This is when the battery bank is fully charged though. I suspect that it may actually indicate the percentage of battery capacity available before the "discharge floor", as set currently, is reached? Not sure what this figure of 20% is supposed to indicate?

0 Likes 0 ·

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it is not possible to change the "battery monitor" setting in the CCGX, probably because it does not "see" the BMV?

The monitor setting is currently "Automatic", with the only other settings available not including BMV.

Does the reasoning make sense?

0 Likes 0 ·

Apparently, for the CCGX to see the BMV, the latter needs to be connected to the Multi via a VE.Bus to VE.Can interface and a VE direct cable?

Obviously it cannot see the BMV if there is no connection between the two. :-(( My oversight of course!

0 Likes 0 ·

To connect the CCGX to the bmv you only need a ve.direct to ve.direct cable, plugging in behind the bmv display and behind the CCGX at one of the two ve.direct ports. Do you have such a cable?

0 Likes 0 ·

Murraynated,

Nope, I do not have a VE.Direct cable available currently, but will get one.

Another "problem" is that we are still running V1-74 on the CCGX. Apparently the update to V2.xx must be done manually once only, but must be done with a micro SD card, which of Course I do not have handy either! :-((

Will get SD card and then download V2.xx, install and try again! Problem is being far afield in rural are, procuring these parts are not that easy. Will get there though!

I still do not understand the meaning of the "20%" indication currently on the CCGX, in the "battery" square?

The small differences in the readings on the CCGX and the BMV is quite understandable for now, seeing that the BMV reads from the shunt, and the Multi only what is going thru itself, thus not taking into account any other possible "losses".

Will keep you posted once SD card and V2.xx are in place.

Have a great day!

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Hi @Baardbek

Did you read this? It should cover most of your questions..

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start

2 |3000

M.C. Pretorius avatar image
M.C. Pretorius answered ·

Marraynated,

Just to report back, as undertaken, and to thank you again for your kind attention, and suggestions/advice on the CCGX issues we had.

I downloaded the V2xx software, after obtaining the required SD card, and VE.diret cable.

Installed and set parameters and everything now seems to run as expected and predicted.

Thank you once again; keep up good relations and advice for the community!

Regards, from South Africa!

1 comment
2 |3000

Murray van Graan avatar image Murray van Graan commented ·

Thanks for the feedback, glad you got it sorted! I’m also from South Africa btw

0 Likes 0 ·