question

khaber avatar image
khaber asked

7'' hdmi display with capacitive touchscreen

Hi

I have equipped an RPI4 with the following TouchDisplay:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B083S6RXDV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00? ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the display to work, I installed the Packet manager (see Figure 1) and made changes in the config.txt file (see Figure 2). So far everything is fine!

picture1.png

picture2.png

What else needs to be configured so that the touch (capacitive) also works?

Thanks for the help, greetings, KH

Venus OS
picture2.png (14.5 KiB)
picture1.png (22.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
ludo avatar image
ludo answered Ā·

Ts_calibrate

I found all info here obenschlaefer.com/

But, sorry, all in German

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered Ā·

You may need to run /data/RpiDisplaySetup/setup and choose the HDMI option. This should set everything up. This script will also hook up display blanking (display dimming, aka brightness doesn't work on HDMI displays.)

The Venus OS image includes the drivers to allow USB mouse and touch screen to function. Should work unless your display is nonstandard. You may need to connect both USB cables up. One is for the touch signal and the other for power.

I didn't need ts_calibrate. A pointercal file is included in the image that seems to work fine.

The display I used is one:

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B077PLVZCX

2 comments
2 |3000

khaber avatar image khaber commented Ā·

Thanks for answer!

I did what you told me to do:

pic1.png

The entries "framebuffer" in config.txt have been deleted, all other entries have remained the same:

pic2.png

Unfortunately, the touch does not work yet. Do you have any ideas, regards, KH

0 Likes 0 Ā·
pic1.png (36.3 KiB)
pic2.png (14.9 KiB)
khaber avatar image khaber khaber commented Ā·

I have now noticed that the touch is not working properly. The touch positions are not scaling properly. The image shows the green touch position, but the red position is calculated.

img-5394.jpg

That means there is still somewhere to set the scale, but where?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
img-5394.jpg (501.9 KiB)
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered Ā·

You may need the ts_calabrate utility. This is not part of the Venus OS image. I was going to include it in my script but realized I didn't need it for my screen and assumed it was not ever needed.

I found instructions for installing and running it in a YouTube video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05CpRJXye58&t=125s

The instructions are in the notes for that video.

You do need to set "faceless" to do this:

touch /etc/venus/faceless
reboot

then reenable the local GUi afterword

rm -f /etc/venus/faceless
reboot

Hope that helps

1 comment
2 |3000

khaber avatar image khaber commented Ā·

Thanks for the information! I took a new SD card (V4.91). After working through the video step by step, the touch now works correctly! The only thing that does not work: I can set a "Diplay off time", but nothing happens.

Thanks for the help, greetings KH

0 Likes 0 Ā·
khaber avatar image
khaber answered Ā·

I think you meant "headless" instead of "faceless".

For this/my display, the config.txt must have the following content:

hdmi_group=2

hdmi_mode=87

hdmi_cvt=1024 600 60 6 0 0 0

hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080

config_hdmi_boost=2

framebuffer_width=1024

framebuffer_heigth=600

regards, KH

2 |3000

Related Resources