question

happycloud avatar image
happycloud asked

Unable to sync battery monitor

Ok. Quick rundown is my BMV-712 will not reflect the correct percentage based on charge. I have been on tech support with my solar supplier (Battler Born Batteries) for weeks, we tried replacing the BMV (Victron sent a new shunt) but still no go.

My setup is this. I have 8 200W/24V panels going to two 100/50 Victron MPPTs then to a 270aH LiFePO4 from battle born. From there I have a Victron 1000w/12V Phoenix inverter going to a tiny load (a small 1A fridge and my laptop). The panels are grouped in parallel/series split between the controllers - so 400W/48V each - they don't see a lot of sun except midday (forest) but I am able to get a 14.60 voltage daily.

I am attaching screenshots of my MPPT/Inverter/BMV settings. As you can see my percentage and voltage don't lineup. I am also attaching a movie that captures the battery topping up during midday sun and showing no changes to %.

There thing that I notices that my be of importance is this - if I disconnect the inverter for the day then it will go to 100%. I did that early on thinking I had a dying battery (before I started looking at voltage) so would disconnect my offgrid setup and use my camper van fridge. Did that 3 times or so and coming back to my place noticed 100%. That was with 800W panels that have since doubled.

Here's a video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v9sj2rv1j71h745/Solar.mov?dl=0

And pics:

build.jpeglayout.png

pv.png

settings.png

So summary is that the battery monitor will not sync while under load from inverter. What should I do?

battery chargingBMV Battery Monitor
build.jpeg (368.3 KiB)
layout.png (43.5 KiB)
pv.png (1.8 MiB)
settings.png (1.9 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Looks like only the Phoenix is connected to the BMV shunt and the negative of the MPPTs is going directly to the battery.

Please take another look into the manual of the BMV.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

happycloud avatar image
happycloud answered ·

Thank you. That did the trick.

2 |3000