question

hornsofalligin avatar image
hornsofalligin asked

What is the benefit of connecting Multiplus compact to VenusOS on rasp pi?

My wife liked the display on the GX touch but our installer told us it was overkill, and we should stick to Bluetooth and VictronConnect to monitor the shunt and mppt.

But that means I’m not monitoring the Multiplus compact; which feels wrong given how much data I get from VictronConnect.

I have a spare raspberryPi so I am thinking of using venusOS, getting some cables and registering on VRM.

But, I don’t know what extra data I would get if I ran all three through VenusOS. I’ve scanned many many victron documents, but still I don’t know which documentation I should be reading or which document will tell me what extra data I’ll get.

Can you help?

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

If you already have the pi, and nothing more important to do >>>> try it.

I have an off-grid Installation with one multi with DMC, 3 mppt and a bmv712, the most important data for me is soc and the accumulated power of my panels. I know that making a cup of coffee costs me 0.4% soc, having the coffee machine and the airfryer on together will bring an array of alarms on the DMC and my mobile. But, I agree with your dealer, a pi would be overkill. I build one, tried it and gave it to my brother as his BPP had just died.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources