question

rkidwell1 avatar image
rkidwell1 asked

Sevcon Data on B&G Chartplotter using CerboGX

Does BBC anyone have experience with a VCerboGX an the VE.Can to NMEA 2000 interface and the cababilites to display different data and perimeters on a B&G Vulcan chartplotter?

I have a 12kw electric motor in my sailboat that is powered by a Sevcon Gen4 Size 6 controller. I would like to display Motor RPM, Current, Motor Temp, and Contoller Temp on my Vulcan 9 chartplotter.

The Sevcon controller has a CANbus High and CANbus Low signal in on the wiring harness. Can I connect that to the my CerboGX using VE.Can, and then connect the CerboGX to my NMEA 2000 backbone using the VE.Can to NMEA 2000 cable to display the Sevcon data on my Vulcan?

According to the CerboGX manual for the WS500 wiring, pin 7 and 8 are for CAN-H and CAN-L. I would just need to make a cable for this from my Sevcon controller.

Thoughts?

3caabf84-b98c-445f-b2a1-77780571aed1.jpeg

cerbo gx
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

svgemini avatar image svgemini commented ·
Hey there, Did you take the advise of Bathnm to get the Sevcon data thru the Cerbo?

I'm in process of an electric conversion and was thinking about using the open CAN port from a Opus A3S display.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

CAN is a bus based network. This means that the CAN-H and CAN-L daisy chain through all devices. This is why some devices have two can ports, or why in N2K you get drop cables from T-piece's on the backbone. At each end of the bus a 120ohm resistor is required to terminate the bus.

It sounds like the Sevcon has only a single port, while the Cerbo has two. You therefore have some choices.

You need a Victron NMEA200 Cable to connect the Cerbo to the N2K network. Remember to remove the fuse in this cable as you do not need the Cerbo to power the N2K network or the N2K network to power the Cerbo. Connect the cable to a spare T-piece on the N2K network. Then you need to connect the Sevcon, you can purchase a standard N2K drop cable, cut the end of and wire the Can-H and Can-L bare wires into the Sevcon. Remember that there will be a positive wire on the end you cut off, which will need terminating and isolating so it does not create problems.

Your other option, if the Sevcon has an option to terminate the CAN network is to extend the N2K backbone through the Cerbo. Attach the Victron N2K cable to the backbone, by removing one of the terminators. Also remove the fuse. Connect the Victron N2K network into one of teh Cerbo VE.Can ports. Then take an RJ45 cable and cut one end off. Connect the RJ45 into the other VE.Can port on the Cerbo and attach teh bare wires to the Sevcon.

Hope that helps.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.