question

Allan Yates avatar image
Allan Yates asked

Remote SOC display?

On a ship, I run a BMV-702 for monitoring state-of-charge, and a CCGX for data logging. Both of these are co-located with the battery bank. Is there no (simple) means to gain access to the state-of-charge information for a remote display of some type? By simple, I mean something like a serial output.

I have found the details surrounding the the CCGX to N2K cable, MFD solution, and references to an earlier cable which connected a BMV to N2K. However, I then need to run an N2K (CanBus) network between the two locations, and a CanBus transceiver at the remote end (and deal with the more complicated protocol). That is all doable, I was just hoping for something simpler...

Thanks,

Allan.

img-4098-tn.jpg

CCGX Color ControlNMEA 2000 - N2K
img-4098-tn.jpg (95.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

Ve.direct bt dongle and a mobile phone will do the job just fine.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Allan Yates avatar image Allan Yates commented ·
Thx. But I need to present the information on a dedicated (custom) display. So it is always visible to the officer on watch. An mobile phone as the display device doesn't work for this scenario.
0 Likes 0 ·
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

I have an old Samsung mounted with Velcro on the dash and connected to a charger, the unit is my internet hotspot and my soc display, running 24/7.

2 |3000

Allan Yates avatar image
Allan Yates answered ·

Digging some more, I found the CCGX supports MODBUS-TCP. This will be the ticket. I already have the CCGX on a local ethernet network for uploading to VRM via a cellular modem. This I can extend fairly easily.

2 |3000

maxwhitby avatar image
maxwhitby answered ·

Please Allan can you describe this solution in more detail? I too am looking to permanently show SOC on a remote LED or similar panel display. Thanks.

2 |3000

Allan Yates avatar image
Allan Yates answered ·

Only got as far as including a placeholder for it on an instrument panel. Hopefully will get to this project over the winter.s.jpg

s.jpg (13.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Allan Yates avatar image
Allan Yates answered ·

Not sure if it is really progress, but was able to successfully read the SOC via modbus-tcp from the CCGX.

soc.jpg

soc.jpg (48.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Dave Rae avatar image
Dave Rae answered ·

Hey Allan, what is the name of the software package you are using on your pc for reading the ModBus?

Cheers

2 comments
2 |3000

Allan Yates avatar image Allan Yates commented ·
The screen capture above is actually from the cloud based configuration GUI for a Sensaphone Sentinel PRO unit. I use that to capture a number of Modbus registers for other data collection,and it was convenient for a quick test of the CCGX Modbus.

However, for PC based Modbus communication (typically testing to confirm the values) I use Simple ModBus Master (for RS-485 connectivity) and Simply Modbus TCP Client (for TCP/IP connectivity)

0 Likes 0 ·
dayandnight avatar image dayandnight commented ·

Hello @Dave Rae ,

I did my own wallbox controlled by a Siemens Logo. I needed to start and control charging when a certain SOC-value of my Pylontech battery stack is reached "some" values I read thru modbus from Multiplus-II. Here a screenshot from the final Web-control paneel of the Siemens Logo unit.

siemens-logo-01.jpg

When I started to do some investigation in 2020 how to read values by modbus from a Multiplus-II unit I started to work with a piece of PC software "Simply Modbus".

In this thread you will find more detailed information about modbus and how to use this software. I used this software only for learning and testing which address, registers etc. I need to accomplish the "Siemens-Logo-Wallbox" job.

Servus - DayAndNight

0 Likes 0 ·
siemens-logo-01.jpg (397.8 KiB)
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

@Allan Yates @maxwhitby @Dave Rae @DayAndNight

Nice work. There's also MQTT possible.

Moving this to the modifications space, lots of complementary information there.

2 |3000

Related Resources

CCGX Product Manual

CCGX Product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic