question

over-and-under-victron avatar image
over-and-under-victron asked

Cyrix CT 230A - why is it passing voltage?

I'm trying to figure this out - I have disconnected the Cyrix output from my house batteries. The starter battery wire to Cyrix is connected. I have the ground wire for the Cyrix disconnected.

I am showing start battery voltage on the Cyrix's output. Why? That doesn't seem right?

I am checking voltage at the green circle.

cyrix.jpg

Cyrix Battery Combiner
cyrix.jpg (59.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

You can't check voltage at one point. Where are your voltmeter leads placed?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

over-and-under-victron avatar image over-and-under-victron commented ·
The ground on the DMM is on the vehicle chassis / system ground.
0 Likes 0 ·
over-and-under-victron answered ·

So, it allows voltage to pass through - but no current. I got a working 12V light bulb and attached it to the Cyrix output and grounded the bulb to the chassis. It did not illuminate. I am so confused.

Any insights?

2 |3000

over-and-under-victron answered ·

So, it seems to be because of the non standard way I'm using the Cyrix.

I have a switch on the ground of the Cyrix. I want to control the alternator charging of the house batteries. With the vehicle off and the ground broken start battery voltage passes through the Cyrix. Reestablish the ground the voltage stops.

2 |3000