question

Finn Knight avatar image
Finn Knight asked

Wiring for relay on Cerbo GX

I'm having problems wiring up the programable relay on a Cerbo GX device.

I'm using the relay to control an electric water heater that will turn on when there is excess power available in the system.

I wired it up the DC side and the relay in the Cerbo seems to have fried. It's stuck on "NO". Wondering if anyone can suggest where I've gone wrong?

The Cerbo relay is wired to a larger DC/AC relay that the power for the immersion heater runs though.

See diagram bellow:cerbo-relay-wiring.jpg

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
justmurph avatar image
justmurph answered ·

As per the other thread with my post that you found, it's probably the field breakdown from the big relay that's fried it. Unfortunately you'll need to get the Cerbo repaired, then try again with a protection diode. The setup is just a zener and a normal diode in series across the coil at the relay.

https://www.durakoolrelays.com/information/technology/layman-s-guide-to-coil-suppression/

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Finn Knight avatar image Finn Knight commented ·
Thanks for this info
0 Likes 0 ·
Peter Buijs - NL avatar image Peter Buijs - NL commented ·
Isn't this only applicable for normal relays with a coil? Solid State Relays use electronics to do the switching and no coils are involved.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Finn Knight

possibly the current needed to latch the relay? Or the arcing that happens on opening and closing of the contact.

screenshot-20220922-172544.jpg

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start#comparison_table

5 comments
2 |3000

Finn Knight avatar image Finn Knight commented ·

I don't think it's the current required to latch the relay. It was working fine with nothing connected and the relay 2 is still working fine. Relay 2 makes a loud click when manually switching it in the app and using a continuity tester, I can see COM is switching between NO and NC. Relay 1 still makes a small click, but not as loud as before and COM is stuck connected to NO.

I think it must be damaged, possibly by this arcing that happens on opening and closing of the contact. How to wire this up so it doesn't damage the relay in the Cerbo in future?

1 Like 1 ·
lpx avatar image lpx Finn Knight commented ·

Hello Finn,

I'm in the same situation, with relay 2 burned!

Did you find a solution ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ lpx commented ·

@LPX

Did you use a protection diode as suggested by @JustMurph, for the resons he also mentioned. On some loads there is arcing when contacts open and close, there needs to be a way to snub that.

https://youtu.be/DxEhxjvifyY

0 Likes 0 ·
lpx avatar image lpx Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Thanks Alexandra
Do you know if the cerbogx relay is repairable?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ lpx commented ·
@LPX

I have not personally opened one. I dont know if where you purchaed from offers repairs?

0 Likes 0 ·