question

tickmc avatar image
tickmc asked

Newbie Narrowboat question for Battery Protect

Hi,

Newbie question here, I'm afraid.

I have the basic 65A Battery Protect to put between a bank of three 12v batteries and load of some lights, a 12v fridge and some cigarette-lighter power connectors, terminating to a consumer unit (no fuse box). I have a solar controller connected too.

Basically, I would like to prevent batteries running flat as they ahem had done previously. The only load I would like unhindered is a security controller / router.

A wiring diagram simpler than that which came with this unit would be helpful.

Apologies if I have not provided enough information here - I would be happy to add. Also apologies if this has already been asked before but I search was unfruitful.

- Mike

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

What you're describing should be pretty easy to wire up. The battery protect is spliced into circuit after the battery fuse and before (most) of your loads. Literally just think of the battery protect as a smart switch. You want your security gear after the battery fuse but parallel to the battery protect.

That should get you the basic function. All of the thinner wires (except for ground) you see on the manual are for optional functions incl. programming.

BP input = connect to downstream of fuse = also connect to unprotected load (security gear)

BP output = connect to all protected loads

BP ground = connect to battery negative

Your solar controller should be left connected to your battery as it currently is.

Have a go with a wiring diagram (even if its on ms paint) and post it up if you're not certain.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tickmc avatar image
tickmc answered ·

Hi Kai,

Thanks very much. I shall give it a go :-)

- Mike

2 |3000