question

fallguy1000 avatar image
fallguy1000 asked

Cerbo losing connection

I have a Cerbo on a boat and now and then the thing loses the wifi connection to a T mobil trashcan. I usually am disconnecting the power on the Cerbo and then get connectivity again. Is there any way I can automate this versus driving 15 miles to the vessel?

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

You could get the Cerbo to reboot when VRM contact is lost.

Via remote console. Settings > VRM online portal > Reboot device when no contact . Also adjust, No contact reset delay.

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fallguy1000 avatar image fallguy1000 commented ·
Thanks. I am super grateful. Dan
0 Likes 0 ·
Tien avatar image Tien commented ·
Mine does the same, is it the wifi inbuilt that has an issue like the Bluetooth due to overheating I wonder?
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Tien commented ·

No. It is just intolerant of iffy wifi/internet connectivity.

If your wifi has a dual 5/2.4gHz network, try creating a dedicated 2.4ghz network for it. Bandsteering can also cause issues for some devices.

0 Likes 0 ·
Tien avatar image Tien nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Mine is connected to two locations, and randomly it will disconnect but it's still saying connected on the unit.

It will keep staying connected until I open up wifi menu when it will refresh the wifi around me and reconnect.

One location has dual 5/2.4ghz but no Bandsteering.

0 Likes 0 ·
What do you mean by 2 locations? If you have separate AP’s but they aren’t meshed this will also cause problems.

AP’s should also not share network names if they aren’t aware of each other. The easiest solution is to enable the reboot after disconnect option in the gx.

0 Likes 0 ·

Mines in a car and can either connect at Work or Home.

0 Likes 0 ·

I’m not sure that it has been designed or tested to seamlessly roam across different networks. Nevertheless the reboot on disconnect will resolve that.

Challenges of external wifi access to the inside of a metal vehicle not withstanding.

0 Likes 0 ·
My issue isn't it roaming between different networks.

It just happens while it's sitting on the same network.

Reboot on disconnect does work, but it's really masking a problem.

0 Likes 0 ·

With a car being a poor imitation of a Faraday cage and the AP being external, you will only ever have issues, unless you can park directly next door to the access point.

With good quality wifi I have never had issues with the device.

In marginal or unreliable conditions, this can and will happen.

0 Likes 0 ·