question

gabriel-brandquist avatar image
gabriel-brandquist asked

SmartShunt logging frequency

SmartShunt has the ability to log some parameters (most important to me is current and voltage) periodically for up to 45 days, according to the spec sheet.

In my case, I'd love to have an option to set the logging frequency to enable more samples/time, even if that would decrease the total history time to much less than 45 days.

Such an option doesn't seem to exist in VictronConnect right now. Would that be something Victron are willing to add?

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @Gabriel Brandquist , nice idea. Probably not or at least not any time soon. Its not something that is easy to change.

For more logging, consider adding an external data logger, ie a GX device like our Cerbo GX.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

Hi, this is quite tricky, as you can immagine.

Usually you use a ADC to measure the voltage across the shunt to determine the current and the voltage between the battery side of the shunt and the power supply for the battery voltage.

The ADC has a sampling frequency - usually 128 samples - to iron out any RF interferrences and calculates a median value, then the processor reads this values every second (usually by timer interrups), calculates the corresponding Amperes, Watts and Volts out of the raw binary values, applies the correction factors and stores them every second, also adds Amperes and Watts up ac Ampereseconds (Coulomb) and Wattseconds on 4 differend counters based on sign (charge / discharge) and updates peak values. By dividing this counters by 3600 you get Ah, Wh later.

Therefore you have a discrete maximum sampling frequency / resolution of 1s. Any change to this timings can have a big impact on accuracy. If you really need to track down inrush current impulses and such, you need other gear suitable for high frequency measurements, you can do this by an oscilloscope with data logger.

2 |3000