question

corby avatar image
corby asked

Can I use a shorter cable to connect the BMV screen to the shunt?

I am installing the BMV-712 very near the shunt (using bluetooth rather than panel for most functions).

The supplied UTP cable is much too long for my install. I would like to make my own cable.

The original cable appears to be CAT 5E ethernet cable with RJ12 connector.

Is it necessary to use CAT 5E cable or will lower grade 6 conductor cable be acceptable. Planning to use 1 to 2 feet.

Does the cable need to support high speed data transmission?

wiring
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

corby avatar image corby commented ·

Amazon sells RJ12 cables with straight through connection having flat 6 conductor cable. Not a high speed cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Feet-Cable-Modular-Black/dp/B01M0GCXA4

Would this cable work with BMV-712?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Yes you can use any 6 wire RJ12 'patch' (straigh) cable

I usually order a bunch, cheaper than making them myself.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thanks much @Boekel .

0 Likes 0 ·
digitmag avatar image
digitmag answered ·

Hi @corby

It is a point-to-point serial connection, not an ethernet one.

You could check the provided cable with a continuity test to check it is a straight through pin-to-pin and buy or make a similar one

1 comment
2 |3000

I know the cable is straight through. Can a flat, non twisted cable handle whatever data speed the Victron monitor is using. ? After all they ship it with Cat 5 for some reason. I have never seen cat 5 used with RJ14 other than here

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic