question

achtertuin avatar image
achtertuin asked

Power assist not available at minimum SOC

I live in South Africa and installed a Victron system with the following in mind. Save money through self consumption, have load shedding backup and to reduce my connection size via power assist. I installed an oversized battery so that I could set a high minimum SOC to provide for all three functions. Unfortunately it now seems that power assist and self consumption are mutually exclusive and I don’t understand why. Is there perhaps a way to get power assist to work at the minimum SOC just like it does when chosing "keep battery charged"?

powerassist
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Why would you need power assist in self-consumption? By default all loads will come from battery until the inverter runs out of grunt and needs to supplement with grid. It is somewhat the opposite use case.

Power assist is for cases where you want to power loads from mains and have the inverter cover the shortfall.

ESS will go to grid when minimum SOC is reached as it is about preserving the battery charge, discharge is blocked so the inverter can't supplement the supply as it would further lower the SOC which is not desirable. Charging is also prevented until solar is available or the SOC drops below minimums (grid failure). ESS is about efficiency and minimising grid usage, allowing a battery to continuously charge/discharge at minimum SOC would invalidate that purpose.

Rather set a much lower minimum SOC, or look at limiting the inverter power in ESS.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

achtertuin avatar image
achtertuin answered ·

Using power assist allows me to replace two grid connections with a single connection as the only reason I had two connections was to accommodate occasional spikes in demand. The need for power assist is brief and will not significantly deplete the battery. ESS does everything I need, except it prevents power assist from allowing me to combine two grid connections into one.

2 |3000

achtertuin avatar image
achtertuin answered ·

In the broader South African context Eskom have indicated that they intend changing the tariff structure to include a significant grid connection fee based on connection size. Many existing systems using ESS to optimize self consumption will then also be looking to reduce connections size via power assist.

4 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Achtertuin

With the input current limit set say for example at 40A then the inverter does not draw above that in ESS. So it does force a power assist of sorts if the current needed is higher than that.

Then when the load drops off it will recharge to the SOC set.

0 Likes 0 ·
achtertuin avatar image achtertuin Alexandra ♦ commented ·
That’s what I had hoped would happen, but once my system is at my preset minimum SOC it does not limit draw from the grid.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ achtertuin commented ·

It should limit it to the input current limit regardless of SOC. What is your set at?

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

I am on eskom and use a current limit and am on permanent self-consumption. Its a non issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
achtertuin avatar image
achtertuin answered ·

I experimented setting the current limit lower once the minimum SOC had been reached, but the system continued to draw everything it needed from the grid.

1 comment
2 |3000

How did you set it?
0 Likes 0 ·
achtertuin avatar image
achtertuin answered ·

Via the tab on the dashboard that takes me to “controls, then I scroll down to “grid current limit”

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
And you have not hit the sustain limit in ESS?
0 Likes 0 ·
Is remote overide ticked for that ac input on the inverters config?
0 Likes 0 ·
achtertuin avatar image
achtertuin answered ·

ESS ignores the grid limit at any SOC, unless I choose “keep battery charged”. My battery is too small to support all the loads all night so it always reaches the set minimum SOC. It is a three phase system supplying unbalanced loads so most of the time peak shaving on one phase can be achieved via the DC bus without even drawing from the battery. My ideal system would be ESS that allows peak shaving at the set minimum SOC (65% in my case).

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic