question

01tundra avatar image
01tundra asked

Phoenix Smart IP43 Power Supply Voltage Too High

Just installed a 12/50 (120VAC) 1+1 Phoenix IP43 charger in our travel trailer.

We have two BattleBorn 100ah batteries we will charge with it and also use it as a 12V power supply for the trailer's DC loads when not charging. While in power supply mode I plan to leave the batteries turned off (disconnected).

I have the charger set to the factory LiFePO4 setting for charge mode (14.2V Bulk / 13.5V Float). While in charging mode with the batteries connected, the charger works as advertised, pushing right at 50A to the batteries.

When in Power Supply mode with the batteries disconnected from the system the charger works perfect as long as the output is set to 13.35V or less. The voltage does not fluctuate more than 0.01V regardless of DC load.

If I set the output voltage any higher than 13.37V the output voltage starts increasing all the way to 15V regardless if there's a load or not. I confirmed with a volt meter that the output from the power supply was overshooting the set point. I even tried it with the batteries connected and the voltage was still increasing way over setpoint. If I return the output setting to 13.35V or lower it returns exactly to setpoint and remains there.

What could cause the output in charge mode to start climbing when set above 13.37V? I wanted to run our trailer at 13.5V while the charger is in power supply mode, but that's not possible because the output runs up to 15V and remains there.....

overvoltagePhoenix Smart Charger ip43
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
01tundra avatar image
01tundra answered ·

OK, Victron has got the issue figured out. They have been very responsive and I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback. Hopefully this info will help others down the road.

Turns out that if I'm going to run the charger in power supply mode AND have it connected to the VE.Smart network, then the batteries must be connected to the system. Even though it's in power supply mode, it's looking for the battery voltage on the system, if the batteries are not connected it can't sense the battery voltage and starts running away.

I tested this theory, with the batteries disconnected and the power supply output set to 13.20V, the output would immediately start climbing to around 15.20V.

With the batteries connected to the system and sitting at 13.20V (70% SOC - where I typically keep them) and the power supply output set to 13.20V everything is stable and happy.

Most of our camping involves being connected to shore power. If we're going on a dry camping trip, I charge the batteries to 100% SOC prior to leaving the house.

So my two choices are either:

1. Remove the charger from the network, keep the batteries turned off while on shore power and run the power supply output wherever I choose, although 13.20V is actually a good voltage to supply the trailer.

2. Leave the charger connected to the network, leave the batteries connected and sitting at 13.20V (70% SOC), keep the charger in power supply mode with the output set to 13.20V.

I'm not sure which approach is the best, one one hand, my BattleBorn batteries have internal BMS which monitor high/low voltage and high/low temperature, so Volt Sense and Temperature Sense aren't really needed from the network to operate safely. But on the other hand, since I like keeping my LiFePO4 batteries resting at around 70% SOC and 13.20V is a good voltage to supply the trailer with, I don't see what harm it would cause just leaving the batteries connected to the system and the charger supply 13.20V to the trailing while remaining on the network.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Probably a faulty unit. Needs to be handled by your dealer

2 |3000

01tundra avatar image
01tundra answered ·

I got with my dealer yesterday and their response was "set it where it works or get with the Victron community".....

This unit was installed new yesterday. I wish I could speak with somebody from Victron tech support before removing this unit and sending it back, but unfortunately that appears to not be an option.

2 comments
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Are you able to confirm which firmware version your unit is running?

0 Likes 0 ·
01tundra avatar image 01tundra wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

v3.50 - says it's the latest.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic