question

luphi avatar image
luphi asked

Cerbo GX kills USB devices?

Hi all,

I'm currently running a Cerbo GX v2.85 in my camper van with the following USB devices attached:

- a DIY VE direct cable based on a PL2303 chip

- a DIGITUS slim spider USB hub (no clue about the chipset currently)

To the hub there are several other devices connected like a GPS dongle, a Tank 140 and a Daly BMS serial adapter.

After a few hard power cutoffs the to directly to the Cerbo attached devices (VE direct to USB adapter and the hub) are dead. They are no longer recognized anymore by lsusb.

The devices, which were attached to the hub are still fine.

Is there any chance, that the Cerbo killed them?

Cheers,

luphi

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@luphi

It's more likely that your DIY VE direct cable is dead. And also worth to notice that using such DIY adapters can cause several other problems, not to speak of voiding warranty.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

luphi avatar image
luphi answered ·

Hello Stefanie,

thank you for your reply and don't misunderstand me. I don't want to blame anybody for the issue, I just want to understand what might happened.

The DIY cable is just Gnd,Tx and Rx. How can that have any influence on the USB hub, which was connected to the Cerbo's other USB port?

Cheers,

luphi

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

USB ports aren't isolated. Bad news can travel..

2 |3000