question

gpatz avatar image
gpatz asked

Is there a required clearance for the intake fan at the bottom of the MultiPlus 12/3000 ?

I have only seen clearance requirements for top and sides, seems to me there should be clearance requirement for the bottom also since the intake fan is in that location. In my location in order to accomplish 100mm for the top it will only leave appx 38mm clearance from the bottom flange of the Multiplus. I did charge my batteries for several hours in the temps of low 90 degees and fans worked fine, but the top was hot to the touch which I understand that is where the exhaust fan is located.

installation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @gpatz,

The Multiplus manual installation instructions specifies that a clearance of 10cm is required around all sides of the unit.

cleanshot-2022-08-31-at-094643.jpg

May I ask where you saw that only top and side clearances were required?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gpatz avatar image
gpatz answered ·

Quick installation guide that is included with the packaging. The manual does also state not to place a battery under it.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks I see it now, I'll see if I can the bottom dimension added to the diagram in a way that keeps the battery placement requirement clear as well.

cleanshot-2022-08-31-at-105537.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

The airflow will be limited by the smaller of the two gaps so IMHO you would be better to centralise the Multi in the available space giving 69mm above and below it. Although still not compliant with the 100mm it will give you better cooling than at present.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I think on this model the airflow is sideways at the top, not upwards, so raising may well help. As long as there's a generally free air path and no contact with heat sensitive surfaces.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic