question

travelhabit avatar image
travelhabit asked

Can I extend the VE.Direct Smart Dongle cable length

I ordered a VE.Direct Bluetooth smart dongle to solve a bluetooth range problem with my battery monitor mounted in a Travel Trailer. The intention was to mount the dongle to a location closer to where I need access. Upon receiving it I was disappointed to see the cable length is not very long. If I were to go through the trouble of connecting the 10 meter VE.Direct cable to the dongle would that be OK?

In other words, I want to confirm this dongle, like other VE.Direct devices, will work for cable lengths less than 10M. If not what is the maximum length the dongle will work with?

Any suggestions on simpler ways to extend the dongles' cable lengh are appreciated. My plan was to buy the 10 meter VE.Direct cable and splice in a section to the existing dongle cable ensuring the length is less than 10m or as short as possible.

VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

yes, you can extend the cable. I use 10m cable extensions (RJ 45 Cat6e patch cables with custom adapters to ve.direct and USB, twisted pairs and shielded)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

travelhabit avatar image
travelhabit answered ·

Thanks @johanndo. Can you show a picture of the custom adapters you use? I'm confused with both the mention of RJ45 and USB. I'm guessing it's a simple double female JST 2.0 4 pin mini micro to a RJ45? Any particular pins on the RJ45 you chose?

I ordered some JST connectors (Amazon link) to do similar, though I may stick with the Victron cable and only modify one end. Not sure at this point.

2 |3000

johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

Thinking out of the box - you may try using a Bluetooth repeater to extend the range of the connection too, afaik there are such devices.

1 comment
2 |3000

travelhabit avatar image travelhabit commented ·

Actually I did quite a bit of research looking for one of these but did not find anything. Plenty of WiFi repeater access points but Bluetooth is limited to specific applications such as audio range extension (requiring connection to amplifier etc) or computer keyboard USB extenders.

0 Likes 0 ·
travelhabit avatar image
travelhabit answered ·

I had done quite a bit of research before posting but could not find a bluetooth repeater. Many WiFi repeaters and some dedicated bluetooth for keyboards and audio but nothing applicable to the victron bluetooth transmitter.

In any case, I created my own double female VE.Direct adapter. First I soldered the pins together on two female JST connectors I ordered.

f-f.jpg

Then I used liquid electric tape to insulate them. Then I covered in a hard epoxy shell with support to hold it all together.

img-0765.jpg

Note: This works only because I was able to reassign the pins correctly on the other male side to insure the proper pin order into the BMV-712:

Pin 1 – GND
Pin 2 – RX
Pin 3 – TX
Pin 4 – Power +

img-0767.jpg

With this set up I can now permanently close off the compartment with access the back of the BMV-712 and relocate the corresponding VE.Direct port to an accessible and convenient location. Doing so allows me to select either the bluetooth smart dongle or the VE.Direct to USB interface and plug either easily into the relocated BMV-712 port.

One has to be very careful in doing this since the standard VE-Direct cables cross over their lines. The pin order changes from one end to the other. That is, this Female-to-Female adapter method will not allow a generic way to extend the off-the-shelf VE.Direct cables.

f-f.jpg (156.9 KiB)
img-0765.jpg (168.5 KiB)
img-0767.jpg (126.8 KiB)
2 |3000

johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

You can just cut a Ve.Direct cable in the middle and solder an straight extension between the ends, no need to crossover again, as the cable is crossed at the connectors. Use some shrink tube and ready to go.

Alternatively you can bundle many serial connections on one CAT5e / CAT6 cable if you need to With this RJ45 screw terminals, you cut a Ve.Direct cable and screw the ends on the terminal, then plig in a LAN cable as extension inbetween, it gives you 8 wires, so you could extend up to 3 serial interfaces easily (1 or 2 for common ground, and 3 data pairs)img-20220730-183449.jpg

2 |3000

travelhabit avatar image
travelhabit answered ·

@johanndo

Wow, I really like that. It looks a whole lot easier and I'm sure less expensive. The 10m Victron cable was $23 USD itself.

2 |3000

waninae39 avatar image
waninae39 answered ·

tnx for the rj45 adapter, it's a great idea

2 |3000

momahmoud avatar image
momahmoud answered ·

Hello everyone, we have a VE Direct extender joiner adapter off the shelve for last 4-years. Available on ebay/amazon/shop

Female - Female Adapter for Victron Energy VE Direct (meadotech.com)

main-image-victroncommunity.jpg

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic