question

alexhanks avatar image
alexhanks asked

Error # 28 'power stage issue' with SmartSolar 150/60-Tr

Our 150/60 mppt controller is triggering the error code #28 'Power stage issue' when the PV load approaches about 350W. I'm confident the controller is sized properly for the system, which contains seven, 100W SunPower Flexible panels wired in parallel in a 12V system, the panels have the following specs: Voc = 21.4V, Isc = 6.3A, Vmpp = 17.1V, Impp = 5.9A. I enjoyed using the nice new MPPT sizing calculator on the Victron site, thanks to whomever helped build that; the excel file is nice too.

Our controller operates fine at solar yield wattages below 375W but, we have yet to surpass 375W realm without tripping error #28, "Power stage issue". I've found little helpful information in the documentation and other online sources, including this repository. The documentation does state that the controller may be faulty. We have been able to clear the error by disconnecting the controller from both the battery and solar load. After that the controller does operate apparently normally until the solar load again approaches 375W, at which time, the controller will again trip error #28.

I'd like to better understand possible root causes to troubleshoot.

Our overall system, includes a Victron 3000W MultiPlus, a BMV-712 battery monitor, a Color control GX, and 300Ah of LiFePO4 batteries from BattleBorn.

If anyone has knowledge and experience with error 28 in an MPPT controller and can share with me possible root causes, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Alex Hanks

Multiplus-IIMPPT ControllersBMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, most probably its broken. Can you arrange warranty through your dealer? Please ask for it to be returned to Almere for investigation. The error doesn’t happen often so we’d like to analyse the unit. Thanks, Matthijs

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alexhanks avatar image alexhanks commented ·

Thank you, Matthijs. I've arranged a replacement unit with my dealer, Battleborn Batteries/Dragonfly, and informed them of your request that the faulty unit be returned to Almere for testing. Thanks again, Alex

0 Likes 0 ·
brianvienneau avatar image brianvienneau commented ·

I also have error code 28 on a 150/45 controller. One week in service. Waiting to hear from my supplier for advice. May have to go back home once my batteries become low.

0 Likes 0 ·
johanbosman avatar image johanbosman commented ·
@Matthijs, Seeing that this thread was answered a while ago, and you probably had a look at the faulty unit with error code #28, can you please explain why charge controllers (rarely) give these error codes? Is it temperature sensor related? Would appreciate it very much.
0 Likes 0 ·
mario-paulus avatar image mario-paulus commented ·
Yes but what is the cause of that ERROR 28 “Power Stage Issue???

I have 2 of the 150/85 Tr-VE.can and only one fails on that error.

Please help. @mvader (Victron Energy)

0 Likes 0 ·
awspaulo avatar image
awspaulo answered ·

Estou com o mesmo problema em um blue solar mppt 150/85, limitei a corrente de carga para 30 Ah e parou de dar o erro. Esse meu controlador teve o derretimento de uma das conexões MC4.

2 |3000