question

travelhabit avatar image
travelhabit asked

How to connect to Remote console? logging interval too long

Just received my Cerbo GX. I did not get the Touch screen as I already have the Digital Multi Control Panel (see product list below) which is more than sufficient for my needs.

I am able to access BMV, SmartSolar, & Cerbo with the Victron Connect app on my iPhone. I set up WiFi access one the Cerbo and phone both to my home router. I also have access to the VRM Portal on my home computer (directly wired to Router) as well as from an iPad. This is a simple home set up. I also added the VRM app the the iPhone and that works as well (i.e. presents the dashboard etc.).

The 1st problem is that VRM is only updating every hour which is pretty much useless for my needs. Not this is the case even though is says 15 min below. So I've just spent 5 hours searching the community, youtube, & general internet trying to change this parameter. I can not find a way to do this with. One would think this parameter would be under the VRM portal settings! Apparently one needs to do this via the Remote Console.

Therein is the 2nd problem. I cannot get the remote console to connect either on my phone or computer (trying both Firefox and Safari). .

Get error:
"Failed to set up a connection to the GX device. Check your connection and try again. "

Very surprising since the Cerbo states "Remote Console on VRM ... Enabled but not online ..." (See below)

I gather from other posts in the community that I should disable the password but I have no access to any password via the Portal or Victron connect. I assume the Cerbo GX has the latest firmware version (Victron Connect did not attempt an update). I also verified that the web browser, on which I'm using VRM, can access both of below URLs (with error messages) https://vncrelay.victronenergy.com & https://vncrelay2.victronenergy.com/.

Ultimately I want to be able to capture travel logs on a USB thumb drive at a fairly high logging interval so I can accurately track performance and optimize my system configuration.

Any help is appreciated
Kind Regards

Product MultiPlus 12/3000/120-50 120V
Firmware version 478
Last connection an hour ago
Product id 2702
VE.Bus connection VE.Bus
Hardware configuration Single unit

Product Victron Energy 200/200 amp Digital Multi Control Panel GX

Product BMV-712 Smart
Firmware version v4.08
VRM instance 279

Product SmartSolar Charger MPPT 100/50
Firmware version v1.59
Serial number xxx
VRM instance 278

Product Cerbo GX
Firmware version v2.75
Remote on LAN
Firmware updates Automatically checks for updates to official release
Logging interval 15 minutes
VRM portal ID xxx
Last power up or restart 2022-08-28 09:37 (4 hours, 54 minutes ago)
Remote Console on VRM Enabled but not online Learn more
Two way communication Disabled
Remote support Disabled
Serial number xxx

cerbo gx
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

travelhabit avatar image travelhabit commented ·

FWIW, as noted above, when I tried remote console ~5hrs ago it did not connect. I did this with and without the VE.Bus port connected to my multi. Just now I tried with my phone and I got a console screen without the VE.Bus connection to the multi. Though extremely slow. However this still does not work from the home computer (same network but wired instead of same WiFi). I was able to get to the Settings menu but no further. I don't see "VRM online portal" and the down 'arrow' won't let me scroll down below "DVCC". The left 'arrow' does let me leave the Settings menu for it's parent.

0 Likes 0 ·
travelhabit avatar image travelhabit travelhabit commented ·

So I close the window and try reconnecting. Now it give me the connect error again! .. WiFi signal is strong

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Did you try to connect to the Cerbo locally via your LAN/WLAN or the WiFi access point of the Cerbo?

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/accessing-the-gx-device.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

travelhabit avatar image
travelhabit answered ·

Thanks Matthias,

That's basically what I did. I used bluetooth to set the Cerbo to connect to my LAN. I set both my phone and iPad to use the same LAN.*

Anyway, after spending too many hours I did get back into Remote Console. This was very frustrating as it would only update 2-10 sec after hitting a key. As noted above the arrow keys did not work on my iPad but when I tried on the iphone they did work. In the end I was able to decrease the interval to 1 second.

Unfortunately this did not have the desired affect. The VRM live update still only happen every hour. So I tried inserting a properly formatted USB drive to collect the data. The first time it didn't collect any data. The send time I left it in overnight and this morning I removed the drive and it still is empty. Per screenshot below logging was enabled and no connection errors were reported.

All in all this product appears to have significant issues when not used with the added cost of the touch screen. That was too much for my use. Basically I just wanted to collect the battery and solar data while off grid so I could use it later in an excel file.

Kind Regards

* Note: initially I tried to connect the Cerbo to my phone hot spot as a LAN but for some reason the hot spot would not show up on the list of available devices (though my iPad could see it and pick it up). Also the WiFi access point of the cerbo did not show up on my iphone so I turned that feature off thinking it would help with a Remote Console connection

screen-shot-84222-am.png

2 |3000