question

louiseh avatar image
louiseh asked

Hi, I have a Multiplus II with ESS and a SCIFP48100 Lithium battery, but my battery does not communicate. What should I do?

Multiplus-IILithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Hi @LouiseH that is unfortunately not a supported battery, the supported options are found here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:start

That doesn't mean it can't work, there aren't any guarantees that it will either, you will need to contact the battery supplier to assist you with support on this.

Best confirm what their pin outs are for the comms cables and make sure you have the right one, failing that, there isn't much more to suggest.

You would also need a GX device to connect it to.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

louiseh avatar image
louiseh answered ·

@nickdb thank you so much for your answer. Please tell me if it is possible to use a Canbus to RS485 converter. I see this is available : ( https://thepowerstore.co.za/products/canbus-to-rs485-converter Pre-made up plug and play CanBus to RS485 converter to be used with Kodak inverters and Freedom Won batteries for BMS communication

Product Features

converts Canbus to RS485 for communication to inverter BMS where no CanBus is available)

As the Multuiplus is using Canbus and the battery is using RS485

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Victron want CAN comms, there are some third party drivers written that allows for serial (and other) management. The battery spec sheet says optional modbus, snmp and tacp for supported protocols, so you would have to do some work. The cerbo will take instruction from modbus but you would have to integrate it. That's leaving my comfort zone so I will move this to the modification space.
0 Likes 0 ·
louiseh avatar image
louiseh answered ·

Unfortunately we bought these batteries and they will not take them back, so I need to get them to work

2 |3000

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

This is one of the big problems in NOT having an 'open' specification for the CAN battery interface. It ends up with a large number of different protocols. What you need - if you can it to monitor the CAN communications from the battery BMS units. Looks like each battery has an address setting, so you would also need a BMU to manage and combine the data from each battery BMS. This would need to come from the supplier. Seek your vendor's support.

2 |3000