question

grizlyadams avatar image
grizlyadams asked

USB to cat5e extenders - anyone used them to extend VE USB cables?

I want to put my Raspberry Pi and touchscreen a long way from the locker the VE kit is installed in - about a 10 metre cable run. There is a single cat5 e cable in there already, so I want to use that, rather than pull any more cables.

I've not used VE stuff before so I'm not entirely sure what I need to connect the kit I have to Raspberry PI.

I have a
Multplus 2
MPPT 150/100 - Tr VE.Can
REC BMS Active BMS (which interfaces with VE kit
DC/DC charger
self built battery (8xEVE 280ah cells in 2p/4s configuration

Multiplus-IIMPPT SmartSolarRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Yes they work OK, being tested .

Regards

Rob D

NZ

14 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

grizlyadams avatar image grizlyadams commented ·
Sadly, I've just discovered that the REC-BMS uses VE.can and the VE.can to USB cable is ÂŁ523!!!! (how??)

I can buy the Cerbo GX and Touch 70 for less than that...

Looking around it seems that there are a lot of canbus hats for the Pi and some info about getting the REC-BMS to work with it, but I don't have the time at the moment, so Cerbo and Touch 70 it will be....

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Souto avatar image Rob Souto grizlyadams commented ·

@grizlyadams I run an REC Active BMS hooked up to a Venus Rpi3b+ with a CAN hat. The CAN-USB cable is ludicrously priced!

I Asked REC for a DB9 - Bare End Cable instead of the usual DB9-RJ45 connector

CANhat for the pi is very easy to setup now using setup helper, just need to follow instrustions and be able to use Putty to SSH to the pi for the VeCan setup.

The hardest part will be tracking down a Rpi that isnt very old or used!

Link to Rpi Venus Image- https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/raspberrypi-install-venus-image

Link to Setup Helper - https://github.com/kwindrem/SetupHelper

Link To VeCan Setup - https://github.com/kwindrem/VeCanSetup

Link To Hat I Use with Pi's (Wavshare Hat In VeCan Setup Options Via SSH) https://thepihut.com/products/rs485-can-hat-for-raspberry-pi?variant=32180465532990&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAjwo_KXBhAaEiwA2RZ8hI6aVq9dwZoxSr0SeMlUUjNvaENWfGA0LxFdO_kAVPrzcpD2IIhOpBoCcM0QAvD_BwE

Hope this saves you some cash

1 Like 1 ·
Rob Souto avatar image Rob Souto Rob Souto commented ·
@grizlyadams Also re your remote screen issue, could have 2x separate Pi's, Venus Pi Located next to batteries to keep CAN and USB Cable runs local and interferance free.

No Need for a screen on venus Pi, the HAT will likely get in the way for the case mounting option anyway.

Pi with screen used as a display, showing Remote Console, then Use the RJ45 Cable as a Network Link Between the 2, probably via a little switch as needed to ethernet connect the Pi, leaving them on WiFi results in the need to reboot more often than you would like!
1 Like 1 ·
grizlyadams avatar image grizlyadams Rob Souto commented ·

I've just ordered a 7 inch hdmi touch display along with a couple of the CANBUS hats you linked; I have HDMI over cat5 extenders, so will leave the Rpi in the locker with the short cable runs to the devices in the locker and have the screen in the RV "control centre".

Thanks again, hopefully I can get it all working, if not I can always fall back on buying the Cerbo and Touch.

0 Likes 0 ·

@grizlyadams I am not aware of any HDMI touch screens that work purely over HDMI, the ones I have used/seen all use a USB for the touch input side, so will probably need a 10M Usb Extension to run in parralel with your HDMI over RJ45 Cable.

If you run the 2nd Pi at the touch screen, then you only need IP Comms between the two without running additional cables in

Diagram below from Wavshare 7inch touchscreen as example

1660832263681.png

1 Like 1 ·
1660832263681.png (281.1 KiB)
interestingly Victron does send touch signals over HDMI - that's why you can use a cat5/6 hdmi extender with power for the GX Touch screen via USB at the touch screen end; only power goes via USB. (confirmed by Victron)

0 Likes 0 ·
nice one!

I already have the Rpi3b+, screen and case and all the files (VenusOS 2.8 and setup helper etc)

So just need the hat and that should be that - now need to figure getting the cable to the Rpi which (i hope) will be 10 metres away from the vitron locker on my RV

thanks again - thats a great help.

0 Likes 0 ·

"I Asked REC for a DB9 - Bare End Cable instead of the usual DB9-RJ45 connector "

Do you have the pin-outs for the REC and the Pi hat?

cheers

0 Likes 0 ·

@grizlyadams Snip Below from REC ABMS Manual - Link to full manual - https://www.rec-bms.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/UserManual_ABMS_Victron_Wakespeed.pdf

1660831546903.pngThe standard Victron CAN Cable from REC is a DB9 Male on 1 end with RJ45 on the other end for a Cerbo, if you have this then you can just cut the RJ45 off and ferule the A,B&Gnd to connect into screw terminals on the CAN Hat.

If you dont have the standard cable youll need to make up a DB9Male-Bare end cable, or order one from REC.

These terminals on the CAN HAT are silly small and jewlers sized flat head is req'd - H/L are CAN High & Low, B Is Gnd.

A is not used as doesnt need to be powered. 1660831798559.png

If you have any drama then feel free to drop me an email and I'll help when I can :)

Cheers

Rob

1 Like 1 ·
1660831546903.png (26.0 KiB)
1660831798559.png (148.1 KiB)
You're a star - thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
I was thinking of using a cat 5 coupler to the rj45 end of the cable and ferruling that at the Pi end.

This may be the way I do it anyway if the extended hdmi touch doesn't work - rather than the second pi, I'll extend the USBs over cat5 and run another cat 5 for the ABMS CAN cable.

The way this install is draggin on - I might endup with the Cerbo and Touch 50 as I need to get it working before departing on travels next month.

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi Rob,

Did you have to terminate the CAN at the pi hat or the ABMS?

Thanks in advance

Lindsay

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie grizlyadams commented ·
Hi

Yes i did at both ends.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

1 Like 1 ·
grizlyadams avatar image grizlyadams Rob Duthie commented ·

Thanks Rob.

0 Likes 0 ·
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

You need HDMI extender and Extender USB for the touch function if you want to put the screen away from the Pi.

1 comment
2 |3000

grizlyadams avatar image grizlyadams commented ·

Hi, thanks - i wasn't clear in my first port - want to move the Raspberry Pi AND the screen away from the locker where the Inverter/charger and other VE kit is installed. The Raspberry Pi and the screen are a single integrated unit.

0 Likes 0 ·