question

n0g00l4g avatar image
n0g00l4g asked

Local configuration topology

Hi guys!

I do not have any equipment installed yet, but I am having a look at a configuration with a Cerbo GX (battery bank + ongrid + solar pannels).

The VRM Portal could be something great, but I am not found of cloud services at all. I want the data to stay within my network.

I want to be able to access to a part of my LAN through a VPN connection, where I could then reach eventually the Remote Console through a web browser, if this is possible.

So far I understood, the status on the installation will just be available from the VRM Portal. Using Grafana would be the alternative solution. But here, this would require some cloud account, unless I would go for some "enterprise" feature to have a local instance.

With the principle of my data is my data, and I do not want to share it at all. Governments and Big Tech should have hands off my installation. Security is tightened to the max. No use of Big Tech at all.

How would you see the whole solution?

Thank you.

offgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
gavin avatar image
gavin answered ·

If you want access to all data locally have a look at https://github.com/victronenergy/venus-docker-grafana

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

johanndo avatar image johanndo commented ·
Unfortunately this involves another computer running 24x7. It would be much nicer to have the InfluxDB and the Grafana running on the very same raspberryPi, that runs the VenusOS. This little critters are quite powerfull and have 4 to 8 times more RAM than a cerbo, they can have SSD connected as storage too.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

@N0G00l4g

Moving to modifications, I think you can do this with Venus OS and RPi, but the experts are there.

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Without VRM, there would be no history but you can access the GUI from a web browser that's on the same LAN as the GX device. That would most likely work with VPN as well although I have no personal experience with it.

To provide a local history would most likely be a lot of work. You would need to monitor the GX device from another computer to log the history and display it. The "large" version of Venus OS includes node-red and Signal-K. There's also MQTT and ModBus interfaces to Venus OS -- or you can tap into the dbus parameters directly.

2 |3000

johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

The VenusOS / Cerbo is designed as a cloud server front end for the Victron Remote Management portal (VRM). You can opt out the usage of VRM (by not registering / disabling VRM, but then you get no statistics of your system. You could use MQTT/NodeRed to gather and divert the data to your own database for later analysis, remote management is then limited to the VNC view of your display, firmware updates and remote configuration can be emulated somehow if you can manage to get this files downloaded from Victron by other means and use the scripts to push them on your devices. Allowing access from Cerbo to Victron is of course easier.

When there is no connection to VRM, data is queued in a sqlite3 db in the folder

/data/db/vrmlogger-backlog.sqlite3

you can process the data in your own database and empty the queue, then nothing will endup in the cloud.

2 |3000

Related Resources