question

jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie asked

What is best according your experience between 1 big or 2 small multiplus

Hi community,

I allow me to repeat this question already partially existing in 2 older posts but without satisfactory feedback from my point of view.

As user and automation engineer I see many advantage having 2 small units 5kVA instead of 1 big 10kVA (talking about Multiplus-II) for redundancy, wiring gauge, and more

But I'm unable to estimate if this would be considered as a disadvantage by those used to install Victron material, like those non exhaustive questions for instance:

- would the parameterization be more complex, much more complex, ....?

- would the basic consumption be much higher?

- would the 2 units run in synch in case an existing CerboGX is switched off

- would the installation continues working without action if one of the 2 multiplus were off for any reason (the master or the slave)

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience about this subject

best regards

Multiplus-IImultiplus in parallel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@jeanmarie

When they are programmed as a parellel system they are essentially one unit. So if one inverter switches off, the entire system is down. If the GX is off the system is off since that is how you switch a bigger system on and it is essentially the central control of the system.

Essentially in a parellel everything is x2 anyway except the GX device.

The only way two inverters make sense for redundancy is to split the DB board loads and have two totally independent systems.

But if you need 10kVa peak for a single load get a 10kVa inverter.

If the system were to go down for any reason you could have an ATS to switch loads direct to grid, some errors auto recover some do not so automatic recovery/restart is not guaranteed.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie answered ·

Thank you very much @Alexandra for this clear answer

2 |3000