Battery Monitor = BMV-712 Smart, Firmware version-v4.08

Solar Charger = SmartSolar Charger MPPT 100/50, Firmware version-v1.59

Solar Charger = SmartSolar Charger MPPT 100/50, Firmware version-v1.59

4x Renogy 100ah Lithium =400ah

1100W of solar panels on roof

Boondocking Issues:

During the day with Sun , GX touchscreen and VRM Online reporting:

AC Input = 0

Batteries = Depending on use but avg (<95%>)

DC Power = avg (<30W>)

AC loads = Dep. on use but avg (<120W>)

PV Charger = Dep. on Sun/clouds but avg (<150W>)

Behavior During the day with Sun :

We are able to use everything in the RV including 1 AC (just test, we do not use it because it depletes batteries too fast) Typical load = residential fridge, maybe a couple of lights, sometimes laptop charger

Behavior right after Sun sets :

We turned everything off except for a few lights, batteries show anywhere between (<70%>) to (<80%>) but slowly decreasing (couple points every 10 minutes or so)

IF we then try to microwave something everything will go dark all power lost the GX touchscreen is black we start hearing beeping, the GX touchscreen just keeps flickering.

If we don't do anything, after about 1 hour Even though batteries show anywhere between (<70%>) to (<80%>) everything will go dark all power lost the GX touchscreen is black we start hearing beeping, the GX touchscreen just keeps flickering.

Next morning after the sun has come out again and maybe 20 minutes has elapsed everything is back to normal .

GX touchscreen and VRM Online reporting:

AC Input = 0

Batteries = Depending on use but avrg (<80%>) and slowly climbing

DC Power = avg (<20W>) and slowly climbing

AC loads = Dep. on use but avrg (<80W>)

PV Charger = Dep. on Sun/clouds but avrg (<90W>) and slowly climbing

capture3.jpg

Questions :

Is this normal behavior?

Should the use of the microwave cause catastrophic loss of power in this way?

Should the batteries % reading be more accurate?

Maybe Something has not been wired correctly at the dealership where they ordered and installed it?

This is the third time I have to bring it in, ( they admitted that its the first time they deal with Victron products)

I tried finding online live help , but it does not exist :(

Could I please get some help from somebody who has the expertise to properly troubleshoot my issue.

Thank you

Mario

shutdown
capture3.jpg (65.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Certainly not normal. You should be able to run your microwave from the inverter even with the fridge and other lights loads. You might have trouble running the air conditioner and the microwave at the same time although that might be OK also.

Everything going dark including your 12 volt lights indicates a DC system fault of some kind. Cerbo flashing also indicates reboots caused by DC voltage below 8 volts. Not sure what's in the path between the batteries and inverter/DC load center but I'd put focus in that path.

If you can put a volt meter on the battery and set to capture minimum voltage, do that then start your microwave. See what the lowest voltage is. If that never drops below 12 volts then move closer to the inverter and load center. Maybe a loose fuse or other connection or faulty circuit breaker.

Might be able to help more if you could provide a wiring diagram.

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mmercier avatar image mmercier commented ·
Thanks so much Kevin, I will work on getting that wiring diagram from the Dealer/installer.
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Kevin, I have just figured out how to view last 2 days data and included screenshotcapture3.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
capture3.jpg (59.5 KiB)

Hi Kevin, please see post below Is klim correct in asserting that "As per your first post, batteries at 11.15v are empty. "??

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem mmercier commented ·
Yes if that is the "resting" voltage. That is no loads or no charging sources for a period of say 30 minutes, maybe more.
1 Like 1 ·
HI Kevin,

I understand that this is an unusual request but could you try to get in contact with the Dealership where they installed the Solar for me if I gave you their email? I feel its the only way this will move ahead in a timely fashion. I am scheduled to drop my RV with them on the 16th of august to fix this, but as I mentioned earlier I have already done this and its just not getting fixed. I would really appreciate if you could coordinate with them to get the wiring diagram as this would help you help them help me :) If you are ok with contacting them please I can leave you their emails here, Or would it be possible to send them yours please?

Thanks, eagerly waiting your answer

Mario

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem mmercier commented ·
Sorry, but I can't do that.

The production/consumption numbers speak to the root problem: you are draining your batteries due to not enough solar production compared to consumption. It's likely our BMV-712 is resetting to 100 % SOC when you loose power giving you an incorrect value. You need to disable that option then get a good charge on the batteries with the Multi connected to shore power. Once the Multi indicates you have reached float voltage the batteries should be fully charged.

You also need to make sure the Multi and the solar controllers are set to the right charging voltages for your batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
mmercier avatar image mmercier Kevin Windrem commented ·

I understand. I will be returning the RV back to the dealership and will ask for a wiring diagram. I will also take photos and send back to you to make sure its all done correctly. Can I do this?

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·
Hmm. 1.7kWh solar production, 3.1kWh energy use.. You need more solar panels, or reduce consumption.

As per your first post, batteries at 11.15v are empty.

2 |3000

tmac99 avatar image
tmac99 answered ·

Mario, Yes, Klim is correct in that LiFePO4 batteries at 11.15v are all but empty. Here is a chart showing approximate SOC % vs volts.
1659649721825.png

1659649721825.png (200.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic