question

fiddleheadacres avatar image
fiddleheadacres asked

Multiplus 24v 3000w tripping Battle Born BMS

I have the multiplus 24v 3000w inverter charger and the Smart Solar MPPT 150V 100A with 2 100amp hour 12v battle born batteries run in series using 2/0 from batteries to inverter and 2/0 from batteries to charge controller (later tried to remedy following issue by using 6awg because 2/0 was sketchily done) and the charge controller turned on but when I flipped the main battery switch to give power to the inverter the BMS was tripped. Ran it again but this time straight to the inverter and skipped the charge controller and it powered the inverter up fine. It’s only an issue when both the charge controller and the inverter are being powered from the batteries. Anyone have a clue on why this would be happening? Note: we have an additional 2 of the same batteries that are not hooked up yet, but will be once I can get the inverter programmed.

Additionally, with this system, what should the inverter be programmed at?

MPPT ControllersLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Fiddleheadacres

The Victron inverters have quite large capacitors and take a bit to power up. Trouble is, this happens as a 'spark', and is likely baulking the battery bms with overcurrent.

This wouldn't normally be a concern if the inverter is always connected, but if you want to isolate it regularly you'll need a precharge device. Some makers have them prebuilt, but just a separate wire with a suitable resistor can do this, even wired in to a multi-position isolator, so you can precharge in one position for 10 sec, then switch fully on.

Use the batt maker's recommendations for the Multi.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.