question

PeterM avatar image
PeterM asked

Energy and Power algorithms have changed since firmware update

I have a single phase ESS system MP1 5kva , Venus , BMV 702, SMA. I updated both Venus from 2v66 to 2v73 and the Multiplus from 433 to 497. I looked at energy usage during night when only fridge and lights are running and load very predictable. Old setup - energy consumption from midnight to 6 am was 0.9 kWh and since update dashboard it is now indicating 0.5 kWh . Looking at the CSV file for both days I notice that with old system the average difference between [System Overview- Battery Power] and [System Overview VE Charge power ] is 62 watts and with the new firmware its 130 watts. This value of 130 watts seems totally incorrect given that the average battery power is inly 210watts. Doing a sanity check I can confirm that the energy drawn from battery on on each day was 1.27kWh and 1.26 kWh as measured by BMV702. Energy consumed from grid is less than 5 watts in both instances - there an explanation for this ?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVenus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I can’t think of any change.

Could you revert to the previous firmware versions again to see if the results are consistent and reproducible?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

PeterM avatar image
PeterM answered ·

How does one reverse firmware on a mutiplus if you doing it via VRM?

3 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Open a remote console, then go to settings -> firmware -> stored backup firmware.

Then boot the older version.

Sorry, this changes the GX firmware, not the multi.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:remote-firmware-update

Perhaps roll back the GX first and test, then revert the multi.

0 Likes 0 ·

You would need to download the correct firmware file for your model MultiPlus from Victron Professional;

cleanshot-2022-07-26-at-104750.jpg

Then there is a upload file option in the firmware update menu of the firmware update section of VRM.

Did you have a specific reason to update the firmware?

It is not required to keep your Victron equipment updated to the latest firmware version. Stable systems should be left with their current firmware. Firmware updates should only be done when it is recommended to fix an issue you are experiencing, or add a new feature that is required by the installation, as it can introduce new issues or unexpected variances.

0 Likes 0 ·
PeterM avatar image PeterM Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
YEs I wanted to get rid of the Freq Lock problem which has not resolved see other post I did yesterday - Multi remains at disconnect frequency and will not reconnect to grid when grid restored and also I wanted to purchase a second identical unit - so in order to for that to work they both need to be as the same firmware version.

Guy to please confirm I do see the upload firmware version on the VRM for my multi - do I upload the appropriate vff file ? thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
PeterM avatar image
PeterM answered ·

I see further repercussions of this is that when I set charge current limit to zero Amps under DVCC it used to do that , now it discharges 100 watts ( ~ 2 Amps ) even when massive surplus of PV is available . Will try reverting to 2v66 on the venus

1 comment
2 |3000

PeterM avatar image PeterM commented ·

Here is System power vs Battery power with Multi v497 ( battery power is measured by BMV 702 ) and have DVCC current and voltage sense shared - a loss of 122 watts .1658818125325.png

here is the same load with v433 - showing a difference of only 49 watts with the same battery load ~250watts ( being fridge ) . B

1658818324690.png

Could it be a difference in the way DVCC is done with V433 and V497?

0 Likes 0 ·
1658818125325.png (53.0 KiB)
1658818324690.png (46.8 KiB)