question

laurenceh avatar image
laurenceh asked

Bug ? or possible workaround - independent fluid measurement units

I am re posting this by adding more information as this is now something I really need to sort out.

Version. 2.87 on Rasberry Pi 3B+

I think this is a question for the Dbus gurus at Victron - please can you answer or advise?

THE QUESTION IS

How can I configure different measurement units for a pulse counter and a tank in the Venus OS console (and VRM) - in my dbus service?

I have implemented :

a) a service using a pulse counter type data model to count the cumulative engine running hours on my narrowboat (my tachometer mechanical hours counter is 25 yers old and stopped working) counting engine hours seemed to be something venus OS could do.

So I used the dbus paths for the dbus-digitalinputs and pulsemeters to work out what values my service needed to provide.

b) a tank level sensor that uses an i2c ADC to read the voltage from a tank level sensor and use the custom tank interface to post it as a tank level.

So I used dbus data paths for com.victronenergy.tank.iio_devices to work out the values I needed to provide.

I wanted to configure the fluid measurement unit for each device using the console but the system only configures ONE fluid measurement type which seems t be used for all interfaces

dbus com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/System/VolumeUnit

But I want different unit for my pulse counter (hours) and for my effluent tank (litres)

Here is what I posted regarding pulse counters but I have now found tht the fluid measurement type is also used for all tanks as well which makes the problem even more difficult.

DEMONSTRATION OF HOW TO REPRODUCE

Create two pulse counter digital inputs (no need to have anything connected).

Change the fluid type of one counter and both counters change fluid type.

[ALSO change the fluid measurement unit for a tank device and it changes the pulse counter fluid measurement unit!]

Surely the intention as implied by the user interface is that they can be independently set? See screenshot here, the two pulse counters both have the same units.

ca1d095a-626a-4e6c-9028-67533a83da55.png

It can’t be that unusual to have tanks graduated in different fluid units on the same system. It might however be better to have a custom unit that can be set per counter, as pulses may not be counting volume? In my case I wanted one counter to be engine hours (having edited the qml to add engine hours to the possible units).

Venus GX - VGXbug report
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic