question

henriv avatar image
henriv asked

Load current compensation for charge current.

Hi

I have a small setup : MPPT Smartsolar 75/15. 104Wh LifePO4 battery. 130W panel.

I need to run 3A load, while the battery is charging. But the battery charge recommendation is 1.4A with a max of 5A.

To run the 3A load I have to set the charge max to 5A (2 for the battery + 3 for the load)

When the load is turned off, the battery current jumps to 5A, which is the max of the battery. I do not want to change at max.

So I now have to remember to change the max charge back to 2A, every time I turn off the load. This is not feasible in the long run.

My request to Victron is to improve the firmware to simply compensate for the load, in near real-time.

chargeCurrent = minimum(charge max + load current , device max current)

i.e. Add the measured current to the configured charge max current and apply that to the charge current. Limit the total to the device max (15A).

This can be done on a 5 second interval. So worst case , the battery will be charged at max for 5 seconds when the load is turned off.

This will efficiently do what I do in the app.

I see there are a few other posts of the same request, but I cannot afford another device to enable what I think is an easy firmware change. Nether a bigger battery , with higher charge current.

I was surprised and disappointed to see that the device dies not operate this way by default.

Regards Henri

MPPT Controllerscharge current limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic