question

gman85 avatar image
gman85 asked

E-tower & Multiplus 2 GX

Hi everyone!

I have an e-tower and multipus 2 gx
I have connected the the battery via the required CAN BUS on the inverter as CAN port on the battery

I have also added the terminator plug to the other CAN BUS port in the inverter. DIP switchers are correct on the battery and the battery still does not appear on devices under remote console

Is there anything I am doing wrong?

Multiplus-IILithium Batteryfreedom won
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
gman85 avatar image
gman85 answered ·

It was the cable that was in incorrectly. I had to swop it around

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
That makes no sense. If you swing it around again does it keep working? Could have been seated incorrectly.
0 Likes 0 ·
gman85 avatar image gman85 nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Didn’t check, but I’m happy it’s all working.

Thank you for all your help

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ gman85 commented ·
No prob. Enjoy. The e-towers are great units.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Presume you are referring to the Freedom won?

Have you followed the steps in the setup doc:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:freedomwon

Make sure you are in the correct port on the built-in GX and its parameters (baud etc) are correctly set and you are using the supplied victron cable, a normal CAT5 can only be used in the Lites.

2 |3000

gman85 avatar image
gman85 answered ·

Hi Nic.

Yes I have set up according to the doc you have mentioned, and using the correct cable (labelled victron)

With regards to the port and parameters, I have plugged this into the CAN BUS port, but how do I change the parameters?

Regards, Gareth

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

In the GX settings, scroll down to services, CAN settings are in there. You can apply the relevant profile as specified - CAN bus BMS 500kb

1 comment
2 |3000

Make sure that the CAN attached module has it's dip switches set be unit 1.
0 Likes 0 ·
gman85 avatar image
gman85 answered ·

Thanx... The GX only has this parameter setting.
Dip settings are set on 1.
Does the CAN victron cable have to be a certain way round?

3 comments
2 |3000

No, it shouldn't matter. It's not impossible you have a duff cable.

Have you tried both ports and tested without the terminator?

You can try push the reset on the BMS in case something has got itself stuck - it needs to be held for about 5 seconds or so. This could wake up the BMS.

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi Yes... Tried all the above.

Anything in VE.Configure that is utterly important other than the info in the manual stipulated above?

0 Likes 0 ·
Nothing that will help with comms to the gx.

It should just work, the FW's aren't fussy.

You have probably also tried to restart the GX?

Are the RX/TX counters at least climbing in the CAN port stats (in services section)?

Is the GX up to date?

0 Likes 0 ·
gman85 avatar image
gman85 answered ·

3 comments
2 |3000

So it's trying to send but receiving nothing. Can only suggest you try get another cable, that's the easiest test.
0 Likes 0 ·
Ok thanx...

Will do

0 Likes 0 ·
If you contact freedom won's support and ask them to check the bms for you to confirm it's ok, that rules out one part of the problem.

It is highly unlikely but they could have the wrong baud configured on the BMS as well.

Contact info all on their site and I have found them to be helpful.

0 Likes 0 ·