question

fixitbaz avatar image
fixitbaz asked

Victron EV Charger Information Required Please

Can someone please answer the below question beofre I invest in buy a Victron EV charging station.

My settup

10kva Quattro

2 x MPPT

10KW of PV Panels

35KW Pylontech Batteries

GX Touch 70

What I want to achieve is a truely fully automatic EV charger system below is what I hope the Victron EV charger will do.

1. Charge EV with excess PV power once batteries are full or in tandem.

2. Set a schedule to charge EV from cheaper electricity at night.

3. For both of the above to be fully automated so just plug in the EV car anytime of the day or night and let the system sort it out either with PV excess power or via schedule charge on cheaper night electricity.

I currently use a Zappi on the system it works to some degree but not the best as when set to use excess PV via monitoring the export of the Quattro it see‘s that excess PV is being exported as my batteries are full so starts charging however it keeps charging the EV car until it is full it can’t see that the export has stopped and is draining my pylontech batteries as it is looking for import current being drawn by my Quattro but this won’t happen until my batteries have reached there preset SOC.

Im hoping that the Victron EV will overcome this and have some sort of setting that monitors export and SOC of my Pylontech batteries as Zappi can’t achieve this when used on a DC charging system.

Any help would be appreciated as I don’t want to spend £1400 on another charger that only does the same as I’ve currently got.

ev charging station
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

HI @Fixitbaz , did you find a solution? Have you got the Minimum Green Level on the zappi set correctly? Is this thread any help?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matthew-2 avatar image
matthew-2 answered ·

I have this working as per the original post, but not using victron control. I control the victron over modbus from home assistant. I also have additional settings such as evening slow charging of the car if the house batteries are particularly full (and the car won't fully charge overnight). I have a forum post somewhere on here (I will try to link it)

2 |3000

matthew-2 avatar image
matthew-2 answered ·
2 |3000

fixitbaz avatar image
fixitbaz answered ·

@sharpener I programmed one of the analog outputs to close at a certain battery state of charge this then sends a 240 volt signal via a relay back to the zappi charger input that is programmed to stop charging an not charge again until excess power is available again, it works very well and better than what the Victron charger can do for a lot less money.

2 |3000

lucca371 avatar image
lucca371 answered ·

The EV Charger currently supports the following modes:
AUTO: charge the car exclusively with excess PV (power fed into the grid). Fed in 1380W --> Car charing with 1380W (only when 1 phase connected, with 3 phase charging start at 4140W). Fed in 3680W --> car charging with 3680W...
The charge is controlled by the GX device.

MANUAL: The car charges with the set power independently of the grid, it also discharges the battery if valid SOC.

With beta firmware v1.24-beta you have a SCHEDULED mode:
You can set individual periods regardless of the PV surplus. The car always charges in the set period (daily, mon-fri,weekend, custom). this works very well.

Victron is working on a automatic charge mode for off-grid with excess PV.

2 |3000

matthew-2 avatar image
matthew-2 answered ·

@lucca371 many thanks for this. I have both scheduled and auto working correctly using home assistant as another option, as well as some other features (charging from house batteries if SOC is high enough and car SIC won't fully charge during set period. This also throttles based on the two SOCs)

2 |3000