question

iron-quail-ranch avatar image
iron-quail-ranch asked

VE.Smart networking waiting for data.

Seems this question has been asked but I have found no solution.

I have 2 MPP Solar charge controllers. One is a new 100/30 Smart Solar and the other is an older 150/70 Blue Solar. I purchased a replacement VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle (part number ASS030536011) to replace the older dongle (part number ASS030536010) to allow the two charge controllers to talk to each through the Victron App using VE.Direct Network.

I am able to create a network and I am able to see both devices on the same network. There is a green checkmark and 5 signal bars next to the other device when I log into one of the two devices. However, the devices say they are "waiting for data" and the total network information line does not appear.

When creating the network the device indicates the network was created successfully, but the checkmark is grey with an exclamation point. Suggestions?

MPPT ControllersVE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

BlueSolar MPPTs are more limited (than SmartSolar MPPTs) in VE.Smart Networking capabilities. They can only receive data (from a Smart Battery Sense for instance), but synchronized charging is not available.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iron-quail-ranch avatar image iron-quail-ranch commented ·
I am only wanting data. The network total data so i dont have to keep switching from device to device.
0 Likes 0 ·
iron-quail-ranch answered ·

screenshot-20220713-080641.jpg

Maybe my expectations were misled. What purpose is there in having these two devices networked together? They both charge the same battery bank, independently. But I receive no "combined" information, like the Total Network Wattage.

2 |3000

iron-quail-ranch answered ·

screenshot-20220713-081312.jpg

However, in this image you can see two charge controllers that I have networked, but they are on two totally different solar systems. How can they possibly "synchronize", when they are not even on the same physical solar systems?

2 comments
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·
It's the job of the person who makes the VE.Smart Network to choose devices which do work in the same system
0 Likes 0 ·
iron-quail-ranch avatar image iron-quail-ranch seb71 commented ·
Ok, I get that. But it was discovered while troubleshooting the original problem, to eliminate issues like bluetooth range. The only difference between these charge controllers is two 100/30s are both "smart" charge controllers and the 150/70 is a "blue" charge controller. I was under the impression that purchasing the VE.Direct Smart Networking Dongle, it would upgrade my "Blue" charge controller to at least give me some combined data. At this point I don't see the purpose?
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual